Randomize: right click context menu

Yes, I use it Knock now you mention it!

One of my favorite iOS developers (Bram Bos) uses randomisation very effectively in many of his apps. I use it most often in Phasemaker, his 6 operator FM synth. I also use KQ Dixie on iOS as it loads any DX based sysex file. However, I get far more out of Phasemaker creatively because of the randomisation feature.

I’ve been experimenting with much the same technique in my early explorations with Vult Vessex (fast becoming my favourite VCO in VCV).

However I do think that randomisation needs to be well designed on a module be module basis. Not all modules lend themselves to randomisation in the same manner as the Mutable Instruments ones. This doesn’t make them bad modules, it’s simply a case that they were created to a different design strategy.

It may be a bit off topic, but anyone think that would be Great to make a small module,with trigger input, that can randomise the first module to the right?? This in order to make randomise function controllable with cv trigger

1 Like

That sounds like just a big sample and hold patched in to CV inputs :thinking:

Screenshot%20from%202019-01-27%2016-26-47

1 Like

There is an override that dev’s can use to disable randomising of any parameter but it is down to dev discretion to use it, void randomize() override {} user feedback might help with swaying their opinion on which parameters to not randomise.

It would be very nice though: to be able to hotkey ‘r’ and click a parameter to exclude that from a randomising que. Just a matter of ctrl+r then, perhaps r+left click could remove it from the list. Hopeful thought!

1 Like

Yes it is similar but the advantage is that it would be faster and it will work also for the few thing that don’t have CV imput

I’ve just tried your suggestion, but it falls short in two counts. The noise output produces the same values out of the s&h for each output, so really requires one utilities per s&h to cover the modulation space. Secondly, that s&h module requires amplifying to cover the full volts range of the CV ins. Result - it works, but with lots more modules

I’m bumping a topic out of the ark, but there are loads of great modules kicking around that do have a randomize function which will randomize useful things like SEQ-3 does but there doesn’t seem to be any way to kick off that randomize outside of clicking on a right click menu option or using a key combination when that module has focus.

Is there anything now, four years after this topic was created, that would allow such a thing to be triggered from a trigger pulse? I tried in vain to find a way to use stoermelder modules to get this working, but could only find something that fires a trigger when you do a CTRL+ key combination, not that would send that to a different module.

Hope I missed something obvious.

Yes. ATM t is difficult to prevent randomization of some params. It’s been years, but I think ATM you need to derive a new widget or at least a new param? I did it one in response to some bug report…

Easy enough to override onRandomize, then you have complete control and can cover randomizable things that aren’t params, such as right click options. Plus you can maintain any constraints you have.

good point. fwiw most of my right click options have, in fact, been params.

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but you can use Stoermelder Strip for this? It has a randomize on trigger. In the context menu of Strip you can select “randomize parameters only” and you can include/exclude certain parameters as well.

1 Like

Oh wow, I use STRIP all the time, never noticed that before! Cheers

I had been looking at modules like Macro and Map. D’oh!

1 Like

I didn’t think that you could have overlooked this feature of Strip, :wink:

in VCV v1 it was even possible to choose parameters to be excluded from randomization iirc,
but same changes in V2 made this impossible, I think,
but Ben @stoermelder should be able to explain it better.

a short example (! Strip randomizes all modules to the left/right side which are directly connected!)

the patch is here:
2023_10_28_a_random_Striped_Beat_01.vcv (21.0 KB)

To my knowledge it is still possible with Strip in V2 of Rack to click the INC/EXC button on Strip and then click a parameter that you don’t want to be randomised.

3 Likes

I just checked and yes it still works.

yep, there is the inc/exc button,
I didn’t remember it right, :blush:
even much better for all ‘randomizers’ :wink:

1 Like

All Venom module parameters (except for Rhythm Explorer) have a lock option in the parameter context menu. Any locked parameter will remain unchanged when the module is randomized.

You can also set a user default for each parameter as well. Just as with the factory default, double click (or initialize) the parameter to return to your user default.

This is certainly not available for other plugins, but I think it is a cool feature of the Venom plugin.

EDIT

I forgot to mention, the lock status and user defaults are stored with the patch.

4 Likes

Very. More of this sort of thing.

Had fun with this tonight. As some sort of thanks for people suggesting things, here are a couple of patches based on using individually configured sequential switches to randomize four SEQ-3s.

One which just outputs MIDI on channels 1 to 4
4 MIDI channels SEQ-3 out with sequenced randomisation.vcv (5.2 KB)
and one which uses FM-OPs to output audio too
4 MIDI channels SEQ-3 out with sequenced randomisation and voices.vcv (7.6 KB)

the latter I find somewhat hypnotic

2 Likes