Rack v. 1.1.6 crashes when I start it (Windows 7)

Hello everyone!

When I try to open Rack, it crashes immediately. I saw another post about this issue where one of the recommendations was to verify that the hardware meets the requirements to run the software. However, I realize that I don’t really know much about my computer, so I don’t know what is causing the program to crash. What I know about my computer is that it’s a 64 bits OP, Windows 7 Home Edition, and that it uses a Pentium ® dual-core processor. I don’t remember what type of graphic card it uses. I was wondering if someone could help me to solve this issue.

This is the information that appears in the “log” file after the crash:

[0.000 info src/main.cpp:119] VCV Rack v1.1.6
[0.000 info src/main.cpp:120] Windows 6.1
[0.000 info src/main.cpp:126] Args: C:\Program Files\VCV\Rack\Rack.exe 
[0.000 info src/main.cpp:129] System directory: C:\PROGRA~1\VCV\Rack
[0.000 info src/main.cpp:130] User directory: C:\Users\User\DOCUME~1/Rack
[0.000 info src/settings.cpp:206] Loading settings C:\Users\User\DOCUME~1/Rack/settings-v1.json
[0.015 info src/main.cpp:155] Initializing environment
[0.062 info src/plugin.cpp:154] Loaded plugin Core v1.1.6 from 
[0.078 info src/plugin.cpp:154] Loaded plugin Fundamental v1.3.1 from C:\Users\User\DOCUME~1/Rack/plugins-v1/Fundamental
[0.124 info src/main.cpp:171] Initializing app
[0.171 info src/bridge.cpp:384] Bridge server started
[0.171 info src/window.cpp:238] Window content scale: 1.000000
[0.171 info src/window.cpp:279] Renderer: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
[0.171 info src/window.cpp:280] OpenGL: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2086
[0.202 info src/window.cpp:33] Loaded font C:\PROGRA~1\VCV\Rack/res/fonts/DejaVuSans.ttf
[0.202 info src/window.cpp:72] Loaded SVG C:\PROGRA~1\VCV\Rack/res/ComponentLibrary/RackBusboard.svg
[0.202 info src/settings.cpp:189] Saving settings C:\Users\User\DOCUME~1/Rack/settings-v1.json
[5.590 info src/main.cpp:189] Starting engine
[5.590 info src/main.cpp:201] Running window
[5.872 fatal src/main.cpp:45] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace:
5: ZN4rack10appDestroyEv 0x456435
4: gai_strerrorW 0x739800
3: _C_specific_handler 0x772272fc
2: _chkstk 0x7723bee0
1: RtlInitializeResource 0x7720ff00
0: KiUserExceptionDispatcher 0x7723b5f0

Thanks for your time! Sandra

Hi, and welcome to the forum! Is this the first time you install and run VCV Rack?

If not and it was working well before, did you recently update your plugins inside VCV Rack?

Sometimes a misbehaving plugin can cause VCV Rack to crash. Try removing the folder of the recently updated plugin.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your answer, Eurikon!

Yes, this is the first time I’m installing and running Rack.

I found this other discussion about the same problem in the same operative system (VCV fails to launch Win7pro64bit - #25 by SupraOM). I’ll try to fix it with the options in that post, so I’ll replay again if the solutions there work for me. However, it seems that the problem was not resolved for the person who posted it :confused: I’ll try, nevertheless.

You can try this application to check for information about your graphic card and then determine whether it is opengl capable, and if it needs the correct driver update from Intel.

OpenGL View

To verify the supported OpenGL versions of the graphic card:

1 Download and install GLview (free of charge).
2 Open OpenGL Extensions Viewer.
3 In the Tasks menu, click OpenGL Report.
4 Check the supported OpenGL versions in the Core features.

1 Like

Hello again!

If I read it correctly, it says that OpenGL is supported up to version 3.1. Would that be a good or bad thing? Also, I search if there was any update for OpenGL drivers, but it seems that there is no more available for my graphic card

Hi,

the checkmarks run up to 2.1 which is fine. Next thing you could check is whether your computer is using the default windows graphics driver, or whether the Intel chipset driver is loaded (assuming that the motherboard has a built-in Intel GPU).

Cause usually people just install a fresh copy of Windows and start using the computer, missing out on some proper essentials that should be installed for the motherboard through chipset driver update.

If this has never been done on your computer, then see here:

Downloads for Intel Graphics

3 Likes

Hello once more!

I’ve been trying to figure out what is the driver my graphic card is using, but I am not sure since I don’t know too much about this stuff. I’m going to attach some images and hopefully, they are the right ones to solve the mystery.

1. In this image says the Adapter is Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express Chipset Family, and the controller’s version is 8.15.10.2086: that controller is an Intel Display Driver according to the info I found about my computer’s model (TOSHIBA SATELLITE C655-S9534D)

2. This other image shows more details about the display and also says the controller’s model is WDDM 1.1. However, I must say that I don’t know if these details will clear if the intel chipset is loaded or not, or if the computer is using the default graphic drivers. I wish I know more about computers :confused:

Thanks for your help and for your time btw!

no problem.

To determine which graphics card drivers are loaded in Windows, 
you can try the following:

1    Find "Control Panel", and once there open: "Device Manager"
2    Open the triangle sign next to "Display adapters" then double click on the device shown there
3    In the window that opens select "Driver" tab, this will list the Driver brand & version

Your steps should look like this

1:

2:

3:

Try to share a screenshot of step 3 here.

:wink:

1 Like

Thanks!

Here is the screenshot of the step 3

Very well!

You have now confirmed that both the GPU is OpenGL capable and the correct driver is loaded.

At this point we need to ask a favor from some wizards, and see if they can put some of their magic on this :dizzy:

Hi @stoermelder @marc_boule @synthi , does anyone of you recognize the error in the trace log?

1 Like

No, I don’t, but I’m not so sure that an on-board graphics adapter with drivers from 2010 is capable of running Rack, even if this tool reports otherwise.

4 Likes

@sfuyadue In that case i would still suggest that you try the Intel updater tool from their site, to see if it reports a newer update for the chipset. That might include an update for the built-in GPU.

1 Like

sorry can’t help you !

I have an hp notebook i5 and I can’t update openGL drivers too :frowning: and mine are from 2012 and still time to time (not at the startup) I’m getting crashes when I load the library panel, when inserting a new module.

My guess it’s a out of memory problem of those old drivers; probably programmed without an effective defensive strategy, thinking the future was so far and 640k was ok… (cit Bill Gates… :smiley: )
ant

3 Likes

Thanks for chiming in Antonio, Ben!

@sfuyadue sounds like the last resort is that upgrade tool, if that doesn’t help, then most likely the computer is under-specced/too old.

:thinking:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @Eurikon! Also, thanks to @stoermelder and @synthi to come by. I’ll keep trying the upgrade tool. However, it looks like I have to upgrade my computer.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re welcome, hope you get it working soon! Or any time soon! :wink:

1 Like

Hi, if the problem is OpenGL based, you could try this, go to http://mesa.fdossena.com

Download the latest version for x64.

Open the 7z file and place the opengl32.dll in the same folder as rack.exe (in C:\Program Files\VCV\Rack )

And start rack. If it works…nice, if it does not… at least you tried.

2 Likes

wow! I have to try ! (thanks)

Same here, nice for testing in virtual machines! :+1: