Rack crashes when I add a 2nd midi source

So I have 1 midi-cv module that takes in Midi from Ableton over loopmidi.

When I add a second midi-cv module and assign a midi source to it, VCVrack instantly crashes.

I’m on windows btw, but this shouldn’t be an issue, right? I know I can only add 1 audio interface, but midi shouldn’t be limited, right?

Is the other midi device perhaps in use by another program?

1 Like

Aha. Had to disable the device in Ableton. Tx thrstn

Hello MerkDak

Can you explain in a bit more detail what you are doing? I was about to revive another old post of mine about getting Rack 2 stand alone on one computer to sync clocks with Ableton on another computer and this topic was in the sidebar. Below is my set up and this all works like it should. I have a network connection because I was attempting to use VCV Rack as a VST in Ableton on one computer to talk to Ableton on another computer through Ableton Link - and it sort of works, but not reliably and it’s a work around in my opinion. I would like to simply (it seems it should be simply) use a midi connection to send clock information from Ableton on the one computer to Rack stand alone on the other. I know about Blue Cat Connector and LoopMidi - just don’t know if this is the answer and if so, how to make it work.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

A second Midi source should never crash. It might not work, but crashing is a bug that should be reported.

I’m not experiencing crashing. I was hoping to understand what he was doing with MIDI so that I can sync clocks between Ableton on one computer and Rack stand alone on another.

Sorry - I was on my phone and didn’t mean to reply to you specifically, but to the thread.

Ah, no problem. It’s a 2 year old thread and not getting much traction. It seems to me it should be easy but I cannot figure it out.