Quick question about filled SVG shape

Hello! I have the following shape in inkscape:

This was created by using the “Trace Bitmap” on a .png file. But on the front panel, the “O” is filled:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seems like the hole is not par of the same trace, on inkscape, press Ctrl+Shift +G (to separate grouped objects) then selecting the traces (the o and the hole ) press “Ctrl + -” (minus key ) to subtract the little hole to the oval (you can find this operation in the path menu)

or upload the svg file an I will try to fix for you

Oh man, I would LOVE some help. I’m having a heck of a time figuring this out. It’s the OUT label at the bottom left.

galacto_front_panel_v2

it would look better imo if the “O” was boxier like the “U” that way the word “OUT” could conform to the curvature of the port.

1 Like

@persy Thanks Persy. Kirt supplied that lettering and since it’s his comic, we’d better stick with his ascetics. Ha ha ha. :wink: He might be going for some consistency with the lettering from the comic.

oh ok, i didnt know he supplied you with the lettering.

1 Like

No worries! I should be getting this module into everyone’s hands by the 1st of June (just a few days!), and I hope you enjoy it!!

1 Like

looking forward to it. i’ve been waiting to see how this turns out.

In Illustrator this would have to be a Compound Path to work. There will be something similar in Inkscape.

here is

also do you have a beta version available of the module, if you have it I can check if it is fixed before upload, also I m agreed with the recommendation about the shape of the O , if you agreed I could make a try for draw some tipos

1 Like

Thanks a ton! Here’s a beta version, for anyone on Windows who would like to kick the tires: voxglitch-1.29.0-win.zip - Google Drive

I’ve reached out to Kirt to see if he’s OK adjusting the “O” in “out”. I’ll keep everyone posted!

1 Like

Could be possible a linux binary? :grimacing:

Hi @David,

I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that I probably can’t build you a linux binary. The good news is that the modules is cleaned up and ready to release. I’ll be submitting it to the VCV Rack library in just a few minutes. It could take a few days to appear. :grinning:

Cheers,
Bret

1 Like

I know we all have a million things to do, but you should really install a Linux for testing builds. afaik linux is the only file system that is case sensitive, so it’s really easy to make code that builds in windows, but doesn’t build on Linux.

Using the free VM Ware player it’s very easy to get an Ubuntu working on your windows machine. Once you have that you can also install the VCV build toolchain to build for all three operating systems. I use that because twice I have had plugins that work fine with a local build, but crash when built for the library.

1 Like

That’s good advice. I have Ubuntu running on virtualbox already, and I didn’t know that my code might not build on Linux.

Would build issues surface automatically when I submit the code to VCV Rack for distribution?

Yes, they will surface then. The wizards will add a note in your github issue telling you what happened. It’s happened to me once or twice. Sometimes the information you get won’t be super informative, and you will have to start the process over once you have fixed it. Of course they won’t actually run your plugin on all those platforms, so they will find build errors but not runtime errors.

But relying on the wizards is a workable solution.

1 Like

This is a great recommendation because Linux is basically an ideal programming environment. Or, if not ideal, then more optimized for programmers than Windows.

Yes, although windows with msys2 is just fine. Both windows and Linux you need to install a bunch of packages, then run the make file a bunch. More similar than different for vcv module development.

Nobody says that everything will be very simple. On any operating system, you need to install the programs and libraries you need to work. This is the default data, it’s just that Linux is more convenient for programming.

Sure I understand that’s your opinion. Just pointing out that for VCV module development specifically it’s not really true. Dev under windows and dev under Linux is more the same than different, for VCV modules. It’s all running make and gcc and perhaps gdb, and those are just fine on Windows/Msys2.