question about polyphonic channel replace

does anyone know a polyphonic module that could merge / replace channels in two polyphonic cables the following order?

first cable contains cv and ov. channels with corresponding gate=high replace channels in the other polyphonic cable.

Thanks karl

I think a combination of Infix and Moots should get you there.

thank you, yes i know this combination. but this does not fit my needs: because: the position and amount of the channels for replace are variable. i asked this question under the following thread, but unfortunately the different results are not completely working for me.

here is a picture of my current configuration.

the blue cable contains the channels, that will replace channels in another cable (the yellow one)

with mute i can select the channels to replace. trigger put it in s/h. the second trigger sends the complete replacing channels to s/h.

?

But, have you solved it now ? with the setup above ?

good morning, i will test it in the evening today. will come back here. thank you

Wonderful, it works! Thank you. here is my slightly modified version

with this i can edit notes during live play the sequence in as many steps as i want. if i am satisfied with the result i push the trigger button and the s/h will output it all notes at once into the running sequence.

btw: it is surprisingly very difficult to find polyphonic switches, that can do this. as far as tested or not realy understand, yours is the only one i found and works fully correct. @Yeager perhaps it is a really good idea to list only modules, which are really fully polyphonic. @Alphagem-O

Karl

1 Like

There certainly are different levels of polyphony among modules. However, I am not sure how to define “really fully polyphonic” unambiguously.

Which other modules from the following search (switch + polyphony) have you tried or considered/excluded because they were not suitable for what you were trying to accomplish?

Click on link below to open the search!

yes it is not really clear what fully polyphony means. i know. and sometimes it is possible that the descriptions for the modules are unsharp for me. or not mentioned enough. sometimes only one parameter is not polyphonic… or does not work as expected.

and important, i tested it for my purposes.

i tried:

Bogaudio SWITCH (use it often, but not for this purpose)

Sickozell switcher

Sickozell cvSwitcher

Count Modula Voltage Controlled Switch

ML Octaswitch works fully.

Karl

1 Like

It seems like you found a solution. But this reminded me of something I was doing the other day: Using vcv fade as an A/B switch between two polyphonic cables. It is a bit more compact and allows for mixing of corresponding values.

basic_poly_switch_with_vcvfade.vcvs (5.3 KB)

Let me know if this was helpful, or if I misunderstood your intention.

2 Likes

I gave you a solution quite some time ago on the other thread with Venom Berrnoulli Switch

In that description I used the probability and swap mode to randomly swap out channels. But it is easy to adapt for the situation you show in this thread.

There are many polyphonic capable switches as I show in the patch below:

Poly Switches.vcv (2.7 KB)

For this setup I used Venom Recurse to generate 16 chromatic steps starting at C4. It starts at 0V and adds 1/12V to each successive channel. Pretend this is your starting sequence of 16 notes.

I use Venom Knob 5 to generate 16 high gates. By default it outputs monophonic output, but the module and knob context menus let you choose the polyphony for each knob, or the module as a whole. This feeds the Sickozell Poly Mute where you choose which channels get swapped out.

For the Befaco Voltio I chose -2V (C2) so that it is easy to see which channels have been swapped by the red color in the MultiVoltimetro. Note that there is no need to explicitly clone the signal to 16 channels. Most polyphonic modules will automatically clone a mono input to match the channel count used by the rest of the module.

Now for the actual polyphonic switches:

Venom Bermoulli Switch: I am using the Gate mode with probability set to 100%

VCV poly switch construct: @rareairbikeco showed how to use a VCV Fade as a poly switch. I have used that technique many times - it works great. For my example I demonstrate how you can construct a poly switch using logic, a couple VCAs, and a mixer.

Bogaudio Switch: This works well except for an irritating quirk. At startup or when constructing the patch, you must set the polyphonic gate input channels to a low state before it will recognize any high gates.

Count Modula Poly Switch: This one also has a quirk. If you change either input, then you must disconnect and reconnect the output before you will get any output.

1 Like

hello again,

after some hours of testing the different suggestions you gave i finally have a solution. thank you all, especially @DaveVenom @Alphagem-O @rareairbikeco the idea with xfade is not working for me, because i do not find out, how to latch it. the hold function of push button could not help. for now i use the bernoulli. it works.

Note and step selection neu.vcvs (35.2 KB)

how it works: the knobs send 10v to polymute. sim arr simulate the sequence, that is playing. to insert a note select the note on voltio. and push a channel button on polymute. for further notes select another value on voltio and push the channel on polymute. all notes were saved with s/h but not insert in the running sequence. if satisfied push the vcv push. then the channels will be replaced.

after find out how bernoulli works for me, it is very usable. it respond to different gates on different channels. for properly s/h it needs poly gate->t, otherwise s/h will not sample channelwise.

1 Like