PS-PurrSoftware Plugin Modules

and this:

2 Likes

I typically use Bogaudio ASSIGN to make Melody output audio and gate polyphonic. And I use the other modules mentioned here for the harmony chords, usually POLYMULT .

Thanks all.

Purr Software’s Meander V2.0.28 is now in the library. There are only changes related to the harmony and melody octal radix musical degree sequencing features. These changes makes it easier to repeat a step note without changing the v/octalRadix octave. The following applies to both harmony and melody octal radix sequencing. As a reminder, the harmony octal radix values represent the circle of 5ths diatonic degrees I-VII and their octaves. The melody octal radix values represent the scale intervals 1-7 (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc) and their octaves.

Edit: The proper term for this format is volt/degree or volt/interval in which case relative degree and interval both refer to the current diatonic scale (key, mode and root).

These changes were made as a result of my work with the Stochastic Telegraph BASICally scripting module. I will post a harmony circle of 5ths computer keyboard performance patch example soon.

3 Likes

Here is a demo of the Meander improved melodic relative diatonic scale intervals (or degrees) being sequenced in a 1st-3rd-5th sequence in D Phrygian. In Meander V2.0.28, I improved the ability to repeat notes in a sequence. The net effect is that this creates a 1st-3rd-5th ostinato or repeating melodic motif. If you download the patch, be sure to click on the Master Reset button to get everything in sync for playing.

Edit: BTW, this piece is another one of my “Stay on I” harmonic progression pieces where all chords played are variants of the D chord.

Meander by Melody Degrees-1.vcv (17.7 KB)

5 Likes

Here is something totally different… This is a demo of using Stochastic Telegraph’s BASICally scripting module to create a live performance instrument with Meander. In this, you can press keys on the computer keyboard to control the Meander harmony part by diatonic circle of 5ths degrees steps.

The most useful keys are: N up by a 5th M up by 2 5ths < up by 3 5ths V up by a 4th C up by 2 4ths X up by 3 4ths B repeat last note SPACE return to “I” circle position

Meander Interactive Diatonic Degrees Harmony Performer.vcv (20.0 KB)

6 Likes

Here is a 15 minute piece composed and performed by my Meander module in a generative manner. It is in Am with a I-IV-V7 Markov chain harmonic progression and a 1st-3rd-5th-7th randomized sequenced melody by “degrees”. I feel the “improvisation” holds together fairly coherently throughout the whole piece, while doing a lot of variations via sequenced parameter automation.

Markov Meanders at the Improv By Degrees.vcv (18.8 KB)

7 Likes

That’s lovely Ken, even though the audio is clipping. Note to self: You REALLY need to get to Meander, Lars!

Yes, but it was intentionally induced as distortion for an over-driven guitar sound. Sometimes I do it accidentally though when it may not be noticable in Rack but is very noticeable on SoundCloud.

And, thanks.

Here is my last planned demo showing off the improved octal radix sequencing of melody by relative degrees or intervals. This differs from the previous by using the Meander Markov chain harmonic progression #47 which allows transitions between all of the the harmonic degrees (I-VII) but with transition probabilities corresponding to those most often used in traditional western diatonic music. The melody is “sequenced” in octal radix voltage correspond to the scale intervals of 1st, 3rd, 5th and 7th.

I added some drums to this, using the Free OhmerPrems QuadPercs module LinnDrums voices, triggered only by the Meander 1ms clocked trigger outs.

Markov Meanders at the Improv By Degrees-Part2.vcv (19.4 KB)

6 Likes

Thanks for the correction. I have edited my post.

1 Like

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

Here is something a bit different for me. In this, I am playing a MIDI keyboard with my left hand to send octal radix scale intervals to the Meander melody DEGREE input with this Meander quantized to Cmin diatonic scale. The melody is then harmonized by the Forsitan Modular Interea and then arpeggiated with the AH ARP3.1 . With my right hand I am playing the computer keyboard MIDI melody part which is quantized to the Cmin pentatonic scale of the 2nd Meander module.

And, a lot of “stuff” is happening, This is the what I developed Meander for in 1988… to be a computer aided performance device. Of course, Meander for VCV Rack is much, much more sophisticated than the original Meander.

I am including the patch for those interested, although it is a pretty complex patch to understand and play: A Blues Noodle Meander in Cmin.vcv (18.3 KB)

Here is my live performance:

7 Likes

this is quiet wonderful to play with. to turn all the knobs may take a while and every constellation really sounds so relaxed. but you are right: it is difficult to understand what is going on in detail. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I agree that this patch is complex to the point of incomprehensibility. But maybe it will stimulate some other experiments.

Currently, I have modified this keyboard patch to work with my Jamstik MIDI guitar by doing a zone split on the MIDI data from the Jamstik such that the upper 3 strings (or so) note data is routed to one place in the patch and the lower 3 strings data is routed to another place in the patch… To get this to work, I have to set up the Jamstik MIDI channel in Rack to monophonic and not 7 channel MPE

I’m not sure how useful this will be, but it sure is fun. I will post the patch at some point in case anyone wants to play with it.

1 Like

Hmm, MPE shouldn’t make much of a difference for keyboard split because you split by note rather than by channel.

1 Like

I could have merged the 7 MPE channels into a single VCV “channel” and maybe MPE could work, but as it was, it was logically too complicated to have the guitar notes arriving on 7 channels, even though I only wanted a single note channel of v/oct data per split. This is fine for playing lead guitar. If I wanted to split chords, all sorts of logic problems arrive.

I may come back to chords eventually.