Purf patches - Previously, on VCV

It’s a mess, beware :wink: Things to know and/or play with: Leftmost Knobs with the Switch for performance fun with the frequency of the Shepard Gen. The other Knobs set parameters for the Bell Curve. Upper are best untouched, the lower one adjusts the curve’s width, best kept at really low voltage. BPM and acc-/deceleration come from the Offset module between the Mutes and the upper Scope, but not synced to the hihat-sound.

Thanks see what I can get out of it, ‘Upper are best untouched’ now you’ve done it. Alsorts of mayhem will ensue!

1 Like
2 Likes

My favourite module collection that no one else seems to use: dBiz :black_heart:. Speaks to me. Here I’m going through the possibilities of a sound for Techno patch. Kick for reference;)

2 Likes

Iiiii… am probably going to abuse Bridge.

Also featuring a hefty use of Delay as a repeater/short looper and Hello, Liquid Filter, how have I slept on you and your ability to distort via FM for so long!?

6 Likes

Another one, actually predates the patch above in regards to experimenting with a delay like this, but now incorporates this idea into the two XFXs here - one with Harmonics, one without, very happy with that sound:) - as well as a Trains theme. I could probably edit it down quite a bit, there’s more to see than to hear but I sometimes like having options.

5 Likes

Wow that’s lovely Urs.

Great to see you run with the idea which makes much more sense in the context you have used it here (one XFX with harmonics, the other without) than it did when I suggested it as a way of introducing offsets in a V/Oct signal :slight_smile:

Here’s to happy accidents!

1 Like

I have so often wished XFX’s Harmonics could be CV-MAPped or something, but this is an alright workaround. Expensive but who cares? :smiley: I also like how this gives sort of ~mental room to think about infusing tonal variations. Good stuff!

1 Like

A first Day Of The Dead piece. The challenge.

Two uOpulus with open gates crisscross through most of the filters and end up in BLACKHOLES in a way that one output from Caudal - and an inverted one - lets me crossfade the voices in the stereo field. Seqeuncing comes from random gates through Fate, triggered by the LFO, flipflopping into IONS. That v/oct is mixed with a bit of Caudal (I’m fairly fond of my usage of TORUS here;). I’m also sending the two main voices through FLUX, mainly used as a VCA here because BLACKHOLES as an audio mixer seems to be prone to clipping (?) but then I found that Flux’ Offset can add a nice grit to them. Third uOpulus receives random s+h’d pitch as a ~bass voice.

8 Likes

Oh wow, great one!

1 Like

[excerpt, wip, maybe]

I never have a plan when opening VCV and almost always open it only when I feel like sinking myself into the progress of creating a patch×composition. However, sometimes the starting point is indeed a smidgen of an idea or inspiration that I’d like to try out. Like a thing I read on Federico Mompou’s Wikipedia page.

4 Likes

The idea is to use gear at the core of those jams, but I’ll liberally sprinkle VCV all over it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Strega :heart: Also Chronoblob, Plateau & Supermassive

5 Likes

It’s a mess, but as my maiden voyage with the revamped Autobreak, I’ll take it.

5 Likes

And on it goes…

bit addicted to feeding an arp¹ by whatever another voice² is doing (Opulus & Energy)

5 Likes

For bookkeeping. Finished day 5 with this one, not necessarily the best or most interesting of what I’d tried and scrapped today. Again, Opulus for a slow arp and Host with Noire for the - soon-to-be drowned - piano texture.

5 Likes

Musically, it’s My First Synthesizer :heart_eyes: (Berkeley, ca. 1969), I guess. But then again, it really kinda is. Had allaround fun building and patching this. (Edit: but seriously, I’m enjoying this a lot. In VCV, I often go out of my way to make things quirky and shaky and defective. Now it just ~is. Happy place;)

dBiz FourSeq, transposed by Bogaudio ADDR-Seq → Microfreak as pure messenger of v/oct and gates → Strega → back to VCV with a smidgen of Delay/Reverb and a LP filter.

3 Likes

A laid-back Strega droning on along Basal, Resonator and Clouds.

4 Likes

Wonderful, beautiful piece Urs, love it! And I love this kind of minimalism, it reminded me a bit of Terry Riley which ain’t bad.

2 Likes

Thank you. I guess a halfways decent string of notes and a ~vibe is all it takes sometimes :slight_smile:

2 Likes