Seaside Modular Announcements Thread: v2.5.2

Sounds awesome, would love to hear it!

I think I have an inkling of an idea of what I want to do with the Density knob to both solve the silent problem and make the notes fill in/ disappear in a more consistent way.

3 Likes

Proteus v2.2 is now available in the Library with the following changes:

ā€¢ Density now affects the overall proportion of notes in the sequence that are present instead of a probability applied to each note individually. This means that if Density is set to 50%, you will always have exactly 50% of the notes present. This also solves the problem of sequences with low Density ending up empty. There will always be at least one note on in the sequence.

ā€¢ Live density changes are made in a fixed order. That means that if you start with 50% of the notes, and turn Density up to 100%, the notes will fill in, and then when you move the knob back to 50% the notes will disappear in the order that they came in, such that when you get back to 50% you will have exactly the same sequence you started with.

ā€¢ There is now a menu option for mutated notes to jump octaves, constrained by the octave range setting. In other words, with this option on, and octave range set to 1, a mutated note may appear anywhere from 1 octave above to 1 octave below the sequence.

ā€¢ Lock CV input has replaced the Scale CV input. A trigger into this jack will change the lock mode according to the menu option you have set:

• 0-2 (Default): Trigger toggles between modes 0 and 2
  • 0-1: Trigger toggles between modes 0 and 1
  • 0-1-2: Trigger cycles through the three modes
  • Hi/Low: As long as the trigger is high, the sequence will be totally locked (i.e., mode 2), and when it is low, the sequence will be totally unlocked (mode 0)

Also there is an updated demo video, starting here at the ā€œWhatā€™s Newā€ section:

Enjoy!

10 Likes

What is the CV input range for Len, Lambda, Density, Mutate, Gate, and Octave? Looks like it may be -10v to +10v?

Of course Iā€™m trying to figure out what all I can sequence :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, -10V to +10V.

1 Like

Thanks for the great update. Would you consider adding another right option for -5V to 5V CV input range? Itā€™s so common with mod sources like LFOs. I mostly use bogaudio LLFO which does have the scaling built in, but with other modules it might make things more compatible.

3 Likes

Awesome, thank you!

Ah. Since none of the controls on Proteus are of a bipolar nature, but all unipoler (e.g. 0-100), I would venture to say that the CV input range for these controls should also be unipolar. There are two CV ranges for control/modulation that Rack uses, as described in ā€œVoltage Standardsā€ in the manual: -5/+5 V for the bipolar case or 0/+10 V for the unipolar case. So in the case of Proteus I would argue that the correct CV range should be 0-10 V.

Levels Ā¶

Signals should typically ā€¦ and CV modulation sources should typically be 0 to 10 V (unipolar CV) or Ā±5 V (bipolar CV).

2 Likes

Yes the CV is additive with knob position so negative values are still useful even though the parameter ranges are 0-100, but it seems like I should change it to 0-10V default with a -5/+5 option (or vice-versa).

Thanks guys, thatā€™ll be a quick fix.

3 Likes

Yes, that makes sense :+1:

Yes, that seems good to me. Of course my Meander module (mostly) follows the 0-10V unipolar recommendation, so Iā€™m ā€œbiasedā€. Thank you.

BTW, I really like the changes you have made in Proteus. At first I was disappointed that the Scale CV input is gone, since I was using it, but, that was not an important functionality to me.

Thanks again for a really cool module!

1 Like

I should mention that the ā€œScaleā€ input was not too important to me because I run the Proteus notes into a Grande Quant that is receiving its scale from Meander. Actually I have 2 instances of Meander with one set to output a diatonic scale and the other a pentatonic scale and I clock switch between which scale sets the Quant scale, both in C Lydian.

Yes and I think for many people switching scales mid-patch is rare, so it is more of a ā€œset it and forget itā€ parameter for many (me included).

You are probably right, whereas it is not uncommon at all in music performance to change scales (keys) in the middle of a song. Also, knowing what most people do in VCV is not easy, nor why they do what they do and why they donā€™t do other things.

Iā€™m probably an odd bird in my approach to music theory and generative performance and computer aided composition and performance.

I really like Proteus.

1 Like

Presumably you could use Stoermelder CV-MAP if you did want to CV control the scale.

1 Like

Hopefully I will be able to do that as soon as the modules are in the library.

You can grab the binaries still as far as I know if you donā€™t want to wait

Yeah, as a general rule, I only install plugins from the library.

1 Like

Yes, I think Meander is special in that it allows more music performance-like creation within modular. Iā€™ve only scratched the surface of its potential myself.

I think the other thing I half envy in Meander compared to Proteus is its size, which allows it to be rather comprehensive. I have intentionally limited the the size of Proteus because it is really a software prototype for an (in-progress) hardware tool. For a VCV-Rack module thereā€™s probably no inherent reason to keep it small since rack space is unlimited and free. But having that constraint forces one to make hard decisions about what says and what goesā€¦ which does also come with benefits. As always, appreciate your input.

3 Likes

Believe it or not, the original Meander of 34 years ago was a lot ā€œbiggerā€ than the current Rack module. The original Meander was a unlimited page sequencer, and unlimited page drum machine and a MIDI file recorder and player as well as sound file player. The current Meander is a lot more capable in terms of music theory. So, I come with a lot of baggage :rofl: But I was already 15 years into modular hardware when I began Meander.

But, enough about Meander.

My latest jam after the recent update of Proteus. 3 instances having at it for a complex, generative sequence.

I must say after these updates itā€™s a damn fine module. My favorite generative sequencer in Rack.

11 Likes