Problem with Linux build environment

I’ve migrated my plugins to Rack 1.0 on Mac, now I want to compile them for Linux.
I’m running Budgie in Virtualbox (Ubuntu 17.10).

I need to install jq and python3 in order to build my plugins (or I get the “SLUG could not be found in manifest” error), but I can’t seem to make it work with apt: I get a couple of 404 errors and the install is aborted.

The Rack migration guide mentions “Ubuntu 18.04+”, does this mean that it’s impossible to make it work on earlier versions of Ubuntu, or is there some other way? I’d rather not go through the hassle of reinstalling my Linux image if I can avoid it…

Ubuntu 17 is quite old at this point. I think you need to make the effort to install at least 18.04, if not the latest version.

the building manual specify you have to build on ubuntu 16.04

2 Likes

You can try to replace in the file /etc/apt/sources.list the all server addresses with old-releases.ubuntu.com, as this version reached probably end of life now. The run apt update again. This should help to get rid of the 404 errors.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

After tearing my hair out for a while I decided to install a new image with Ubuntu 18.04, and now I’ve managed to successfully compile the plugins for Linux! :smiley:

1 Like