Postmortem on Rack's GPL relicensing

As a working graphic designer I have tried not to take this moronic trolling, or to comment it, but you know, any fool with a tool that makes noise could easily compose anything by Kraftwerk, Beethoven or Stockhausen. I mean, it sounds really easy, doesn’t it?

11 Likes

what exactly was said that got him banned, and the comments deleted?

Well, first, the whole tone was quite aggressive, he then denied having used any Grayscale graphics…
But the worse thing is the fact that he leaked some parts of private emails between him, Wes and Andrew. Private conversation are supposed to stay private.
We didn’t want this post to turn into a battlefield of Vcv vs Mirack (nobody wants that).
It’s better that any issues existing Between Wes Andrew and Vitaly are taken care of in private.

2 Likes

Some notes after a good nights sleep:

I think the guy who posted the comment about the graphics clearly showed he doesn´t understand what graphic design is about. I would feel much better if he could apologise for the inconsiderate comment, because it is not only about graphic design. To write such a degrading comment about a creative activity (= graphic design) on a forum dedicated to creative activity (= making music and making the tools to make music, including graphic design) is just silly (in lack of a better word –– I have a restricted vocabulary in english as it is not my native tongue, but I think you understand the meaning).

[NOTE: just commenting the comment, I do not know him and believe he is as smart, charming, hardworking fellow like any of us].

As @Olival_Clanaro wrote here above, with some editing from my point of view:

We didn’t want this post [or this forum] to turn into a battlefield (of Vcv vs Mirack (nobody wants that).)

I think we all can agree on this. And for sure, all of us could open up our ADRS:s and not be so snappy. Most online content has Reverb that goes from 0% dry to 100% wet even before the first gate has closed. Seems that for every post You write, the comments tend to go through a Bernoulli gate, and the original posts writer never knows which way the coin flips.

In this threads first post, I thought that Andrew wrote a clear and honest 16-bar Sequence of the events, but as usual the result was like something out of a Turing machine. Really hope we all can agree that we should use a filter, perhaps the wonderful Vult Lateralus, before hitting send on our comments, and turn the Cutoff to a point where the tone is at least tolerable. Of course some growling sound is nice, but the noise could be left to our patching.

Right?

14 Likes

when you learn English on Muffwigglers and VSE :joy:

<3

2 Likes

GPLv3 is poison. I love MIT. Real open like in open

this is hyperbole. It’s a license that reflects Andrew’s intent with the project. Whether you agree with that intent or not is up to you.

6 Likes

I used to believe this somewhat, that MIT/BSD/CC0 were the “most free/open-source” licenses, because I was only looking at the license itself, not what the license would cause. The point of my article (in the first post) is to convince developers that this is not true, through several examples. BSD-like licenses are open licenses, but they do not promote the culture of openness. In other words, these licenses cause less software in the world to be free/open-source, compared to if GPL was used instead. The fact alone that the GPL is “viral”, “copyleft”, “poison”, or “infectious” is the whole point of the license since 1989.

GPL is the license that promotes the most openness, while MIT/BSD/CC0 promotes the most freeloading. Some developers think this is fine, so they should continue using them. If you want to use MIT for your projects, that is 100% fine with me, and fine with any audio software companies that need an audio format decoder or ZDF filter library in order to meet their $500k sales deadline this year. But some developers’ wishes are aligned closely with my wishes, and they might not yet realize that by using BSD-like licenses, it may spawn lots of proprietary software that isn’t open at all.

Licenses are a personal choice, so I’m not trying to sway developers to blindly use the GPL (this would be bad), but I want to make sure the license they choose is aligned with their vision for how their software should be used, so they don’t make a mistake like I did when choosing a license for Rack v0.3.

9 Likes

I’m not saying your choice using GPL is “wrong”. I can totally understand the reasoning behind. And I like the way VCRack evolves. It’s an open platform and lively. It attracks many clever minds contributing. Finally you can make a living from this and offer high quality products.

Don’t get me wrong on this. What I’m trying to say is that the Licensing Model attracts conflicts like this. Currently I’m working on a IoT project from a international multi billion company. They accept the usage of MIT, Apache BSD and so on and releasing their libraries as MIT as well. Not the core product.

But that’s the difference. They don’t have to be affraid about me too or others using their product. I think for your intentions GPLv3 is perfect. I just don’t like the lincese.

Regarding the iPad conflict you had with mifki … I kind of understand both sides. I personally feel it’s to hard to put him as criminal. I have acutally been very exited to read someone ported an old/incopatibel version of VCV to iOS. Not because I think it’s compatibel, but because I like to use the form factor for learning and usage. The touch interface is just a natural fit for the modular. And besides that there are no decent modulars I like. The closest I felt comfortable with was audulus 3 but it has this terrible habbit of having to switch between edit and play mode(or at least it had). I’m not using keyboards when I’m on the go, so this was a bad product choice from my point of view.

So to the core: I’d really like to have VCVRack on iPad. Reach out to the iOS community and ask for a contracting work. I’m pretty sure you will earn the fruits of this collaboration.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with his choice. His choice has been good. I just don’t like the License itself. Read my comment to his post below

1 Like

You called it “poisonous”. That’s somewhere beyond dislike. I have to wonder why you (and several others) chose this to be you first thread on the VCVRack forum.

Also, @Vortico, I have to say, this thread has turned to crap. I’ve been holding my tongue about it and choosing not to respond (on the basis that you don’t stop a load of people shouting in a room by shouting in the room) but there’s some really bizarre behavior in here.

3 Likes

At least now, the posts are somewhat on-topic, which is on Rack’s GPL license. However, there are thousands of opinion blog posts about GPL vs. BSD-like if you search on the internet, so blanket statements about the GPL aren’t really relevant here. What is relevant is how the GPL applies to Rack, plugins, and the audio software industry.

3 Likes

Like Andrew said, this is a philosophy thing. You either prefer the permissive(do whatever you want - BSD, MIT …) model or the copyleft (do what you want, but release what you did also as open-source, GPL). There are several pros and cons to both models. Copyleft helps to protect your IP to stay open source. permissive allows for faster adoption.

One of the more famous examples of the permissive use probably is MacOS which has been built on top of BSD. The copyleft one being the linux kernel.

Like I said: I totally get, why Andrew chose to relicense to GPL for his needs and vision. A good summary about both of the models is this post here: https://resources.whitesourcesoftware.com/blog-whitesource/top-open-source-licenses-trends-and-predictions

Yet again. I did NOT want flame up the heat. What I’d really like to see is Andrew finding some Help/Partners to bring VCV to the mobile platform and finish V2 for having an awesome VST.

Btw. here is the counter example of the permissive model used by AudioKit Synth One: https://github.com/AudioKit/AudioKitSynthOne#code-usage

the question left is how you can monetise your hard work base on this model. But this is a totally different. discussion.

Love, peace and V2

1 Like

I really like this response. I totally agree with the statement

2 Likes

In your defense; I think you’re the only vcv plate designer that has given any thought to design language.

Yet another offensive comment.

1 Like

no… What benefit would I see from it? Doing unpaid work as person who lives on less than 50 dollars a month for a dev team that responds badly to criticism? My couple of credits of graphics design school and my two cents believes the community should just pay pyer to do better versions… It’s an opinion. deal with it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion; no one is entitled to other people’s time and attention.

This forum’s option to individually mute notifications or ignore messages altogether is not very prominent, but useful nonetheless.

1 Like

@dj.ezmyrelda clearly you are trying to be the center of attention of this topic, this topic is not about design, or what are beauty or not, is about legality and licensing, if you don’t have anything to say about that your comments are spam.

PD open a thread in the lounge to express your opinion about the vcv rack design, actually is a interesting topic

5 Likes

When/where did this happen? That’s ridiculous.

1 Like