Poor mix quality - hints please!

How about this golden oldie?

Check out the 80s/90s haircut and the dated “fancy graphics”. But, the content is still valid, adressing many aspects of sound/mixing in simple terms.

The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson

2 Likes

Hi Kwurqx,

This is great. Thank you!!

Best Regards, Chris.

Yes, sometimes you only want an effect on one voice so there’s no point using a send. I use the Mindmeld mixer and there’s only 4 aux sends, I often use way more different effects so that’s probably the reason.

To answer your original question, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the mix, it’s more the choice of sounds. State Azure usually has multiple layers of different sounds with a huge stereo image, and plenty of expensive outboard effects like the Strymon stuff and Microcosm. It’s probably more a question of sound design not mix problems, if that makes sense. It’s not a bad track at all by the way, just doesn’t sound like State Azure. You need more ‘ear candy’! :wink:

Might be a phasing issue.

Thanks Muppet!

I get that, but OC was using Supermassive with the same settings on all voices shrugs

Your insights on SA’s effects are helpful I’ll investigate more stereo image stuff (I already have Ozone Imager in the mix).

Nobody’s mentioned compression. State Azure is not unlike Carbon Based Lifeforms in that it’s a smooth mix with lots of bass and low mids, but both of 'em often seem very squished to me.

What I hear in the ‘poor mix’ (I’ve got pretty good monitoring, particularly in the deep bass) is actually not that far off from the target, except that the super low stuff is more sparse, a lot quieter, and not highpassed in any way, where State Azure is way denser, way more compressed, busier, more uptempo, and cuts off before it goes literally subsonic.

Lots of the difference is simply a matter of buss compression. The way the State Azure merges and melds, I can’t believe it’s just a raw digital sum with nothing done to it. There’s got to be a compression and/or limiting and/or saturation chain in there (some kind of saturator could be causing that fullness and up-frontness: it will not be hard clipping, it’d be a soft soft saturation if any)

2 Likes