Polyphonic and Expanders showcased?

(Leodardo) #1

Not really developers-related, but this is the right place to ask since among the devs there will be somebody able to reply.
Q1: Do we have pre-release modules capable of polyphony? By this I mean whether we have or not a bunch of modules capable of creating a poly synthesizer for demonstration purpose. Fundamental modules such as VCO and VCF won’t do that right now.

Q2: Do we have any expander module implemented? Who’s planning to release some?

Thanks for the feedback

(Andrew Belt) #2

Fundamental v1 isn’t finished yet, but it will support polyphony in all relevant modules before v1 is released but after the v1 API is stabilized.

Grayscale Permutation + Variant will be the first expander module, but it will be closed-source freeware, so this probably doesn’t help you. Someone will undoubtedly release something soon enough.

1 Like
(Leodardo) #3

Ok thanks, I’ll wait for the final implementation.

(Marc Boulé) #4

Impromptu Modular (v1 branch) has implemented the new Rack expander method for all modules having expanders (PS16, PS32, Foundry, Clocked, GS64). The code is open-source for those that want to take a look, but it needs to be improved for clarity, so read at your own risk :slight_smile:

(Don Turnock) #5

Marc, do you know if there is a limit on the length of the arrays used for expanders?

Don @STS

(Marc Boulé) #6

I doubt there is a limit since from Rack’s point of view, it’s just pointers that are managed, so I don’t think there is a limit.

1 Like
(Andrew Belt) #7

No limit. The two buffers are swapped every frame, but you can choose to write less frequently than that. If you do that, you should set a flag (in the consumer buffer) to denote that the message is “old” and should not be used again. Or, you can set a flag every frame in the producer buffer to denote that the message should be used or not.

(Adam) #8

Check out the v1 branch of Fundamental for examples of polyphonic modules:

Fundamental Merge, Split, VCA, and Viz are all polyphonic.

Also the v1 branch of my plugin, Computerscare Modules:

ComputerscareDebug, ComputerscareKnolyPobs are polyphonic.