PLUGIN AUTHORS: Help migrating existing plugins to Rack v1

REALLY??? :heart_eyes:

Oh wow, I read your PM!! Thanks 1024 times!!!

1 Like

Hi All,

Strum here but by a different Nick

I’ve started updating the Mental module code, shouldn’t take more than a few days to get it done.

6 Likes

i think someone else is having a go at it.

Yeah I was aware, hopefully we can work together on it, but I’ve looked at it and it’s not a huge job, i’m in the coding zone now, should get it done in a few days from now.
It seem the more complex modules that have custom widgets present most of the difficulties, and my modules don’t have many, if any of those.

2 Likes

OK, so i’ve completed the migration process as per the instructions up to phase 2.10 , module compiles and loads but crashes when i open the module browser.

Any suggestions?

Null-Check for Module* in ModuleWidget?

2 Likes

Hi all,

I’ve been working over the past few weeks (whenever time allows) on plugin migration. Unfortunately, I never read this post and was not aware of the more “structured” approach to this effort - I apologize for that. All my migrations are full Phase-2 ones (not compatibility mode) mostly because I do not believe in the longevity of deprecated code support which can be pulled out on a core update and break the plugin. My approach for choosing candidates are plugins that:

• Do not have an active Github repo migration effort
  • Have “stars” and open issues asking for migration on Github
  • Are interesting and unique

As of now, I’ve ported 21kHz, mtsch and am closing down on Qwelk. I’ve posted PR’s on both 21kHz and mtsch repo’s and am waiting for communication.

I’ve got two questions:

1. Some of the lingering plugins are probably abandoned with no Github activity for years. Do we have an official path for those? This is especially complex situation as most of the plugin development is done by passionate synthesis enthusiasts that usually know more about sound and wave theory than C++ dynamic casting. As a hobby coder, I can port the plugin successfully, but I have very little knowledge of the theories behind the process it implements, so I’ll be a bad candidate to become a maintainer (assuming the plugin is abandoned).
  2. Question to the OP: What plugin should I consider next (after I’m done with Qwelk)?
5 Likes

Are you the person behind the LifeFormModular Plugin package? If not then you should know that they have also done 21kHz (though i haven’t tried then yet).
It’s good to see you tackling Qwelk. Some really interesting and unique pluggins though their oscilator (Indra’s net) has a crash bug in it that was never resolved. (Actually I may be misremembering the type bug).

In answer to the second question: the alto777 LFSR set is quite interesting

1 Like

Were you able or did you make the oscillators and the transposer Polyphonic ? I ask because AFAIK @stevo.sebik made the transposer polyphonic but not the oscillators.

PS spellcheck thinks it should be trans-poser but I think that’s something else.

3 Likes

No. I’m not. Unfortunately, it seems like I’m the only one that posted a pull request to the original author. It’s much easier to find out other developers efforts if they give the original developer the courtesy of merging their changes through Github’s pull-request mechanism. Regarding Qwelk, that was a pretty nasty bug that originated from the original developer building WRAP into Indra and then introducing a bug while reversing it (because WRAP is now a separate module). Indra now loads fine. I’m still cleaning up and verifying the code changes. I should be done with it in the next few days and will post a pull-request to the original developer repo.

2 Likes

I agree. I’ll put it on my list. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

No. This was a simple migration. I prefer to work on migrations before moving on to feature enhancements. @stevo.sebik did a great job in migrating and starting a polyphonic addition. Unfortunately, from a programming perspective, doing polyphonic on audio is a totally different beast than doing them on CV’s and requires a major code rewrite of the module (you should use SIMD vector extensions to manipulate signals).

I knew it was hard @stevo.sebik said so in one of his posts, so I was just wondering if you were able to do it.
Thanks for answering.:smiley:

I’ve completed the V1 migration of Qwelk. Pull-Request is posted on the original developer’s GitHub repo. I’ve also posted the plugin binaries for users to test out on the repo’s issue thread.

6 Likes

I’ve completed the V1 migration of LFSR. Pull-Request is posted on the original developer’s GitHub repo. I’ve also posted the plugin binaries for users to test out on the repo’s issue migration thread. Please let me know if something is broken. I’ve tested it on Linux and all modules seem to work well.

5 Likes

Seems to work well for me too on linux, thanks!

1 Like

works great on Win!

1 Like

Linux binary will not load on older systems, it’s been compiled with versioned symbols (GLIBC). I’ve posted the issue on github, but the solution will likely be access to the source code so I can build it locally. Looking forward to playing with those modules again ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just to note that @netboy3 got me squared away with the source code, thanks to his assistance I now have a shiny new LFSR plugin.

1 Like