Patchlets: reusable one-row patches

You can add my STRIP module for that and use „Cut“ and „Paste“ to move a group of modules in the same row.

I know about STRIP. There are a couple of things with the workflow I’d like to improve and also see in the core as feature. I’ll write proper feature requests some time later. So here is what I’m talking about:

1. Selecting a couple of modules by SHIFT+click them. I think the Rack would benefit from having a visual marker rectangle for the currently selected modules. For example having a click on a module selects it and draws a selection border or add a small marker led or something in this fashion. Optionally an overlay that can be turned on/off or faded like the cables.
  2. Pressing CMD+G or CTRL+G or something configurable, the selected modules are grouped together. Now when dragging one of modules, all modules are moved. This could be tricky if modules from different rows are selected, but this is something for optimization. Then there is also a command for ungrouping of course. Lets call it subpatch or also Strip.
  3. In a later version of Rack there could be something like custom UI. Where you hide this group of modules within a custom UI, either a new module or rack on it’s own then alles to define basic simple UI components.
  4. Another feature is related to autorouting … but that’s a different topic. I’ll just skip it.

Last but not least, there is are 2 problems with the strip approach.

1. If you copy a set of modules and paste, it doesn’t work with the undo/redo stack. Don’t know wether this can be fixed from with STRIP or wether this needs to be a core feature. The second one being that you need to move arround strip all the time. I still like it and use it, albeith it’s just a very good workaround for now

Yes, i know about that, I have an issue open for that but I didn’t take the time to implement it yet.

I finally took the time to implement this. It is available in the latest build on my GitHub-repo or when the next version of the plugin is released to the Library (should happen in a week or two).

3 Likes