Pam's Pro wave bitrate?

Has Pam always had these stepped waves? There’s no CV quantising here, just a plain old sine wave out.

I have Pam’s_NW hardware so i’ll check later but I don’t remember any low bitrate waves :confused:

cheers!

Red: Hardware Pam’s New Workout. Blue: VCV Pam’s Pro Yellow: Control (VCV LFO)

I lost a little bit of signal level (6%) from the hardware but they seem identical otherwise. I cant hear any stepping or aliasing so I’m guessing it’s some kind of interpolation / framerate mismatch on the draw calls, something like that?

Can you feed it into a Spectral Analyzer like (VCV Library - Bogaudio ANALYZER-XL)? That should show if there are unexpected harmonics/partials.

1 Like

I have never seen VCV scope create artifacts like those jaggies. It’s possible it’s a scope artifact, but that would sure surprise me, and be a terrible bug.

Red: Hardware Pam’s New Workout. Blue: VCV Pam’s Pro Yellow: Control (VCV LFO)

The colors are mis-labeled? Could you re-post with quality === ultra and amplitude range higher (120 db)?

2 Likes

I’ve made stepped waves like that when I made an “LFO” that ran internally at 400 samples per second (LFM). I added a one pole filter on the output that ran at full same rate to filter them out.

1 Like

Chris posted the cable color rather than the trace color, which doesn’t do much good unless you happen to memorize the trace colors for each of the analyzer’s inputs.

Green trace = yellow cable = VCV LFO control.
Pink trace = blue cable = VCV Pam’s Pro.
Salmon trace = red cable = Hardware Pam’s New Workout.

1 Like

Yeh, colourblind, sorry. Should be ok now.

Yeah, so now it looks like there are low level “jaggies” on both version of PAM’s? Whether these are audible or not - depends. I’m sure you could make a patch where they are audible. Just run it into a VCO or a high Q filter, run the LFO at different speeds. I would expect to heard some obvious “stair steps” at low speed, but I’m not positive about that.

Other posts on this topic: high resolution LFO?

1 Like