Omri Cohen: Tutorial Videos

Thanks, Nik! Oh, it’s a beauty…

1 Like

Having now spent several hours stepping through your video and experimenting myself I can only say that I am stunned by both this incredible generative sequencer and your masterful explanation of it Omri.

Many moons ago I tried to read this: http://www.modular.fonik.de/klee2/know_the_klee_draft3_203.pdf
but decided that my life was too short :slight_smile:

When I look at it now it makes sense, but only because I have watched your tutorial. You have made the very complex easy to understand.

This will be one of the best additions to the toolbox yet.

Chapeau !

3 Likes

I fully support Nik’s comments - excellent explanation of very complex module, big thanx, Omri!
P.S. I don’t want to seem intrusive, Omri, but it would be great, if you could do yet another sequencer review, - I am eagerly waiting for more detailed explanation of new Foundry plugin :wink:

1 Like

Thanks so much, Nik! I have to say that I’m a bit surprised of myself, improvising this video. I really did think of making an improvised patch from scratch, but at the end, it came out as an improvised tutorial… :slight_smile:
It’s a very deep module, and what I love most about it, is that at the end of the day, when building a patch, all of the technical stuff don’t matter and you can just enjoy the time with it, interacting with it. A beautiful module indeed…

2 Likes

Thank you! I appreciate it :slight_smile:
And I’m hoping to release the Foundry video tomorrow :wink:

4 Likes

Holy cow, that’s amazing news, Omri, I sincerely admire your talent and hard work!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I have the time of my life :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For now I am trying to decipher what the Foundry is all about. It is not easy. But finally I can take care of it myself at home :).

1 Like

I’m just about to upload the video :slight_smile:

Already in its early stages, I got so much inspiration from Foundry. There are so many things one can do with it, and everything is intuitive and fun. This is indeed the mother of all sequencers…
Foundry is a 4 track sequencer, with up to 32 steps in each sequence, and with 64 sequences all in all that can repeat themselves up to 99 times. One can build whole songs and compositions with this one… It has many cool features like 7 different play modes, an extra cv output for modulating velocity, cutoff point, and even sending another line of pitch information, it has the advanced gate modes just like in all of the other Impromptu sequencers, and it’s even possible to delay the different tracks and add polyrhythmic nuances to your patch. This video is a sort of an introduction to Foundry. I go through all the different features and sections, and I also show how to control it with an external controller.

7 Likes

That’s whats up! Thx Omri, looking forward to watching this with lunch tomorrow :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Omri, for your fine introductory overview of Foundry and sorry for being a little bit late to react on it :smile: I am still wondering (after watching more than several dozens of your excellent tutorials and other types of VCV-related videos) how you have so much patience and energy to make all that stuff regularly :wink:
Well, I must admit also that I had to rewind back and forth 5-6 times your “song making part” (starting from about 19’40) to catch tricky basics of this technique - IMHO very talented (and, sure, very generous to all of us, mere mortals) author of Impromptu series is using too complicated schemes/logic in some parts of his modules (mainly in his SEQ’s)…Anyway, I am really impressed by the wide possibilities of his latest “brainchild” and want to say big thanks to him separately!
And, once more, kudos to you, Omri for all your wonderful videos and patches - it was (and still is!) a main source of my gradual learning of VCV modules and their interaction. Have a good one :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks @tugrikyan! I know that my Phrase Sequencers are not for everybody, but with the kindness of Omri and his tutorials, it helps make them more accessible :slight_smile: . In think in the end, we should strive to use tools that inspire us and intrigue us, and personally when making Foundy, I made a tool that inspires me a lot, hopefully this will be contagious! :wink: Cheers!

2 Likes

Thanks again (or should I say better Merci beaucoup :)), Marc! I really like and use frequently several of your nice modules (BTW, my best friend is Clocked ;)). Honestly, I still have some problems with “extended functionality” of e.g. your Phrase Seq’s (mainly with that notorious “song mode”), but now at least I understood main usage methods employed by theirs young & mighty brother (or sister - I dunno ;))…

1 Like

I hope you will enjoy it :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks! I think that the beauty of the Impromptu modules is the fact that they are very deep, but also very intuitive. It’s true, there is a learning curve, butit’s a fun one :slight_smile:
About the videos, I enjoy working on them, learning new modules or old tricks, and on top of it all I get to know interesting people :slight_smile: Cheers!

3 Likes

I have to admit, I’m quite surprised by the result in this one. Today we begin with the last set of models, the noise models, and this video was about the Tuned Noise model. I’ve created some percussive elements with the help of the new trigger sequencer from Count Modula, and with the help of a few ADDR sequencers, added some movement to the sounds.

4 Likes

One of the biggest features that were introduced in VCV Rack 1.0 is the Polyphonic Cables feature, that allows us to send up to 16 different signals through only one cable and create polyphony, among other things.

In this video, I show a few ways of how to use Polyphonic Cables starting with a short introduction, then with using a Midi keyboard and creating your own arpeggiators, and then I showcase a few more ways of using Polyphonic cables and the different polyphonic modules.
6 Likes

For many people who are coming to VCV Rack from a DAW environment, creating and using scenes is a big part of their compositional process, and in this video, we will create scenes with the help of Jooper from nysthi, and look at how we can trigger the different scenes manually with the computer keyboard or with an external controller, and also how to automate the change between the scenes in synchronization with our clock.

7 Likes

One would think that the new Midi mapping feature in VCV Rack 1.0 will start and end with using an external controller and mapping it to different parameters in VCV Rack, but oh boy, this is just the beginning. Midi mapping opens a whole new world of modulation and patching that was not available before. Yes, sure, you can now map your controller to almost anything in VCV, even if it has no CV input, but you can also modulate almost anything with other modules as well, even if what you want to modulate has no CV input, and you can also record and create automation and unique modulations, and again, assign them to almost anything in VCV. So in this video, I start with mapping an external controller, and then I use the Stoermelder modules that allow us to use Midi mapping to map other modules as well.

7 Likes