Omri Cohen: Music

Beautiful! THX 0!

1 Like

Thanks so much, Brad!

So this is literally my first patch with the Neutron and BeatStep pro, combined with VCV Rack.
https://youtu.be/RAC6FFjt4-Q
I was still not so sure how to sync the BeatStep with VCV Rack, so what Iā€™ve done is, I set the same BPM in both VCV Rack and on the BeatStep Pro, and sent the Start trigger via MIDI from the BeatStep to trigger the Reset function on the clock module Iā€™ve used in VCV Rack, Clocked from Impromptu Modular. So every time I started the sequence, Clocked would reset and since both Clocked and the BeatStep are set to the same BPM, the sequences were in sync. This is, of course, not the ideal way of doing this, and I hope to record soon a proper video on how to sync VCV Rack with the BeatStep Pro. Anyway, the BeatStep is sending CV to Neutron, controlling the pitch of both oscillators separately and triggering its envelope, and the velocity function is modulating the cutoff point of the filter. The Neutron is going directly to my DAW, which is Reaper, and the different voices from VCV Rack are also being sent to Reaper, each voice to its own track. I use also the Midilar to control a few modules in VCV Rack, having hands-on experience also in this department.

3 Likes

How is the beatstep device?

Itā€™s excellent! 2 discreet sequencers and a drum sequencer, and there is also control mode where you can use it as a midi controller. Itā€™s pretty powerful.

1 Like

In control mode, if you set the channel of each control up to ā€œuserā€ itā€™s SUPER easy to change the midi channel. This gives you 16x16 knobs at your disposal, as well as 16x32 momentary or toggled buttons. The BSP is one of my favorite pieces of hardware Iā€™ve ever used. Itā€™s always useful for something.

1 Like

Oh yes, itā€™s very powerful, and lots of fun!

1. Connect BSP to computer via USB
  2. Set the BSP sync mode to INT
  3. Load MIDI-1 in VCV
  4. Select BSP as the MIDI device
  5. Connect START to any module reset input
  6. Connect CLK1 or CLK2 to any module clock input
  7. Press Play. :slight_smile:

If that doesnā€™t work, thereā€™s probably something that you need to configure in MIDI Control Center to make sure that the MIDI clock is being sent right.

1 Like

Both looks and sounds great. Gear to lust for.

1 Like

Oh yes, they work really nice together :slight_smile:

So, Iā€™m starting with the percussive modes, in this case, the bell and metallic drum. Yes, Iā€™m using many instances of Braids, but hey, it was fun. Iā€™m also combining some mayhem from Marbles, with some Euclidean spice, and the Piano Roll is there for stability. The distortion is intentional, by the way, coming from Debriatus.
https://youtu.be/e37MR8eE6_I

3 Likes

I like :+1: .Thank you, ā€œMasterā€ . :bowing_man:

1 Like

Thanks!

Well, it all started with Una Corda. I loaded it up in VCV Rack using VCV Host, and used a burst module to trigger it and send it pitch information. I got instantly inspired and started adding more voices, but I knew that this patch will play by itself, so Iā€™ve used the Midilar controller to tweak a few things to the point they sounded good to my ears and left it to run by itself. I have to say, I still cannot believe I can control and sequence instruments like Una Corda with VCV Rackā€¦ Absolutely amazing! http://bit.ly/hindsightmidilar

6 Likes

Wow Omri, fantastic sounding patch there! :heart:

1 Like

Thanks so much, Lars! It was a fun one to make :slight_smile:

So good! Will you be sharing the patch for this like youā€™ve done for your others? :slight_smile: Us n00bs enjoy digging into expert files to learn.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Benjamin!
Iā€™ll consider sharing the patch, sure. The problem is, Iā€™ve used 4 instances of Host with Una Corda and Various effectsā€¦

Fair enough. I do own Host and Una Corda so Iā€™m at least part of the way there ha ha Cheers!

Oh thatā€™s great! Iā€™ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

1 Like