OK, this is just silly.

The final entry from the FAQ page reads:

• Computer hardware:
    • Although Rack’s System Requirements suggest that computers as old as 2013 can run Rack, it is recommended to use a computer from 2016 or later that is designed for gaming. There are many gaming laptop and desktop computers on the market for as low as $300, the price of an average hardware Eurorack module. Unfortunately, Apple’s MacBook Air and older MacBook Pro models are not designed for gaming (despite their high price!) and are therefore not recommended for VCV Rack.

I’m running VCV Rack on a 2010 Macbook Pro. Zero issues. Never had them. Still don’t, even with v2.

Who wrote this…? Ooooooooohhhhhhhh, of course! Someone who has never used a Mac.:expressionless:

I think the author of Rack, Andrew Belt, wrote that (or at least approved it). Pretty sure he’s got a Mac, too, along with the other flavors.

I use an 11-year-old Windows machine myself. I have no issues, either, but I don’t make giant patches. I’m sure you can choke your Macbook on Rack if you try hard enough. :slight_smile:

Many, many, many, many, many people who have 2010 macbook pros have complained many, many, many, many times that they become hot of that the user can’t use as many modules as they feel they should be able to. Many, many, many, many, many people who have macs have looked at it.

It’s not that this place is full of appl h8rz, it’s just that running VCV have proven time and again to drive many laptops into thermal limiting.

4 Likes

Agree, my fake Mac shows a LOT of CPU usage, so I can imagine “older” Mac laptops may hit thermal limits. I’m betting it barely puts a dent in an M1 Mac though.

reports are that VCV runs very nicely on an M1 mac.

1 Like

I’ve just acquired a Macbook 2,1 from around 2007/8 - Core Duo, 2Gb RAM. Might try running Rack just for a laugh. Note: I didn’t want it, the mother-in-law gave it to me as she didn’t know what to do with it!

My first patches were using v0.6 on a 2010 HP Elitebook Windows laptop, and that was actually OK as long as you didn’t use too many modules. Depends what you are trying to patch I guess.

1 Like