Note mapping for Launchpad Mini Mk2

Hi all,

I just got a LP Mini Mk2 from Ebay for £30 and it doesn’t have any way of changing the default midi pitch values. I’m struggling to figure out the easiest way to map the default pitch values into usable values inside VCV Rack so that I can use it as a sort of midi keyboard. What I’d like ideally would be a way to map each row of 8 buttons to an octave of a scale or to remap the voltage for each row so that it can be quantised to a scale. I can make something in Max/MSP and send midi data into VCV Rack that way but for ease of use would prefer a solution within VCV Rack if possible.

It has a grid of 8x8 buttons that by default increment the pitch value by 1 horizontally but by 16 each row -

row midi pitch values for buttons 1-8

1 - 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

2 - 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

3 - 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 . . . .

8 - 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119

These are not very usable as they are. I had a look through the Core and Stoermelder modules but nothing can seems to help remap the note values. I’m probably missing something obvious. An alternative would be split the incoming voltages by row and remap them but I can’t see an easy way to do that either. Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

If I understand correctly, you could do something like this. Use Stoermelder Midi-Cat to map the pads to Impromptu CV-Pad, then change the values of the pads. You can tune the pads using SK Whatnote or you can type in the cv values manually. I’m using a launchpad X here, but the concept should be the same.

Never test , but maybe create a Scala file and use it in a quantizer who accept it like the Nysthi poly scala quantizer ?

I was playing with this a bit more and it seems to work great. With my launchpad which has 64 keys, I was able to separate the pads into 4 separate voices. The patch is available on patchstorage.com if you are interested. I didn’t include Midi-cat since the mappings would be unique to your controller but the pads are all tuned and you can use the Oct module to change the octave on the fly. https://patchstorage.com/drumpad/

1 Like

Ha great! Thanks very much for this. I cobbled something together in Max to send the appropriate midi pitches but this is better. There’s 16 voice polyphony if you split the CV pads into 4x4.

Don’t know if this can work with Mk2 version, but here a link to a post i just made about a LUA script done for the first generation of the Launchpad mini.

Lua script forum post