Nonlinear Circuits Modules

Hi All,

I realized that I forgot to announce this pack here when it was first released:

These are ports of the awesome Nonlinear Circuits Eurorack modules (https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/) that I originally emulated in my Euro Reakt pack for Reaktor. These ports have been done with approval by Dr. Andrew Fitch. He hasn’t specifically tested them for accuracy, but I do have his blessing to do this project.

Most of the modules that I’ve emulated are based on his CMOS and logic experiments, as I do not have any skill in analog modeling. If someone would like to contribute ports of some of the chaotic designs (especially Sloths, Brain Custard, Hyperchaos, etc.), I would love to merge those in! For those with analog modeling experience, each page on the NLC website has a build guide that includes a schematic. As an example, the page for Triple Sloths (Triple Sloth — Nonlinearcircuits) has a link to the build guide + schematic (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e6e99e8bd2f8a6de8454feb/t/5e77ab6be8ff44374c1b9378/1584900974424/8hp_sloth_build_and_bom.pdf) along with a panel template (https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e6e99e8bd2f8a6de8454feb/t/5e77ab7d55c6b75f30807909/1584900989987/8hp_triple_sloth_panel_template.pdf).

So, really, any of the following things would be useful contributions to this open-source project:

• Convert panel templates to SVG panels
  • Create C++ code for analog models
  • Bug fixes or more accurate emulations (for Squid Axon’s nonlinear feedback, as an example, I just used Emilie Gillet’s open-source diode implementation that she used in Warps. It sounded close enough to the physical Squid Axon that I had at the time. For 8-Bit Cipher, I just used a scope to calculate each bit’s contribution to each CV output. I think it’s pretty exact, but let me know if it’s not. For the Slew functions on BOOLs and Divine CMOS, I just used the slew limiter in VCV’s DSP library. It is close enough to compare to the BOOLs that I owned, but I no longer have one to directly model against.)
  • Polyphonic updates where applicable.

If you do contribute, please be aware that I also maintain an open-source repo for free ports to Voltage Modular (GitHub - mhetrick/nlcvoltagemodular: Nonlinear Circuits emulations for Cherry Audio's Voltage Modular). I will port any contributions here over to VM.

Remaining modules that I personally have the skill set to port. These modules already have panels (made by jk) ready in the repo:

• 1050 MixSeq
  • Router
  • 32:1 (Will have to be two separate modules since VCV doesn’t support bidirectional jacks)
  • Divide and Conquer

I didn’t do any panel work on these. Credits go to Papernoise, @jasonw22, and jk.

The main reason I’m starting this thread is because I just sent 1.3.0 to the Library, so it should be available in a few days. In 1.3.0, I finally added in Divine CMOS, Segue, and 8-Bit Cipher.

Please post bug reports here! If you’d like to contribute, please give me a heads up so that we don’t accidentally work on the same thing and so that I can provide any help if needed.

25 Likes

Thank you so much for putting and making these modules for VCV, they are so wonderful at messing with the simplest oscillator and creating magic!!!

I have just used 8 BIT Cipher on every parameter on Atelier Palette and it is instant ‘Bladerunner’ soundtrack.

2 Likes

Just submitted 1.4.0 to the library. Builds will be up on GitHub momentarily.

This build adds Divide & Conquer, which is a hilariously over-the-top clock divider with fractional divisions.

EDIT: Temporarily removed the library update request. To get the 3/2 clock right, the /2 was working as a /4. I need to find someone with a hardware unit so that I can get some scope shots with triggers and gates to figure this out.

EDIT 2: Okay, got it fixed by replacing the top 3 rows with analog models. Reopening the library request. Also, Divine CMOS was running twice as slow as it should have been :grimacing:

10 Likes

Continuing from the HetrickCV announcement thread, the Nonlinear Circuits modules are already prepared for Rack 2.

These new widgets look excellent (great job, @pyer!).

14 Likes

Thank you :+1:

4 Likes

The Davies-style knobs will likely be redesigned for Rack 2 as well, so these modules will look even more consistent.

2 Likes

Thanks @trickyflemming , it fits nice with your style! Indeed, white davies knob are on their way for the final version

3 Likes

my wiqid languor module is inspired by nlc triple sloths

2 Likes

Nice! I somehow missed your modules. I love chaos. My Masters project was an iOS synth based around chaotic attractors. Subscribing now. I’m currently working on porting over the chaos modules that I did for Euro Reakt. Hopefully they’ll be ready for Rack 2.

I’d love to do some of NLC’s analog chaos modules (like Triple Sloths, Primal Hyperchaos, Flip-Flop Chaos, Brain Custard, etc.) but I have almost no experience with circuit modeling like that. I can do basic CMOS ports (like the tangled flip-flop network on Divide & Conquer) but that’s about it.

5 Likes

Newest builds for today’s Rack 2 update

4 Likes

The nonlinear repo has no license. Does that mean it is intentionally “all rights reserved”?

AFAIK in most jurisdictions “no license” automatically means “public domain”.

That not what the internet says. The internet says that no license means all rights reserved.

Copyright is assigned automatically upon creation of a work, for all countries of the Berne Convention.

Yes, I need to write out a license for it. I need to contact each panel maker and see what they prefer for their panel art. The code, like HetrickCV, is Creative Commons.

2 Likes

Yeah, I kind of guessed that was your intention, hence my post. And Andrew has confirmed that the default of not license means that if falls under current copyright laws, hence people can’t use it.

It sounds noble to try to find the status of all the art - of course an alternative is to not allow people to use it.

Okay I heard back from all panel designers and they are fine with CC! I’ll update the repo tonight.

2 Likes

Yes, I know that you have automatic copyright, but that’s not what the question was about. Copyright and license are two different things. There’s no question about copyright, but the question was: “What’s the licensing terms when there’s no license”, and my answer is (edit) that it seems to vary with jurisdiction, hosting site etc. where there will often be a default license you have accepted in the TOS. This seems to say that no-license means “can’t do anything with it” and therefor sites like GitHub have TOS that says no-license means people can fork etc. otherwise it wouldn’t work as so many people don’t specify a license. YouTube has a default license as well (the YouTube license) and don’t allow you to not specify one.

1 Like

Public Domain explicitly means not copyrighted.

1 Like

Yeah, just reading a bit and you’re right. It’s unclear what “no license” means. Could be platform dependant, i.e. there might be an automatic default Github license, don’t know, could mean “no one can use this for anything” like Bruce seems to suggest, could be jurisdiction dependant, don’t know. I guess there’s a reason that free software gurus always say “choose a license, it’s important”. This seems to say that no-license means “can’t do anything with it” and therefor sites like GitHub have TOS that says no-license means people can fork etc. otherwise it wouldn’t work as so many people don’t specify a license. YouTube has a default license as well (the YouTube license) and don’t allow you to not specify one.