New and lost

I am trying to figure out if I need to purchase a $30 host to get VCV to route to Cybase 10.5 pro on a macbook pro. I am not seeing the bridge option when I create a instrument track. is that because I havent purchased the $30 host? I am new and cant find that answer anywhere. Thank you

Host is used to run VSTi instruments, and VST Effects in VCV Rack. Arpeggios/ sequencers and other VSTi’s that return midi (VST MIDI Effects) will not work. Link

Here’s the FAQ on bridging audio: https://vcvrack.com/manual/FAQ#is-vcv-rack-available-as-a-vst-au-aax-plugin-for-daws

Thank you for your quick response. I have read that link, I guess I am trying to figure out how to get a sound from VCV. I thought followed the steps. Do I need to start over? Reboot? I am lost.

Perhaps this will help ?

Bridge is deprecated. While it can still be installed, it rarely offers acceptable performance.

Making VCV talk to another music application is still a messy process (I have a thread about making it talk to Reason on Windows).

Host will only allow you to embed a VST (and not AU) within Rack - not the other way around. The upcoming VCV for DAWs will work the other way around, but no release date is set yet.

For now, your best bet is to use virtual loopback MIDI and Audio drivers. Virtual MIDI is built into OS X, and it seems Blackhole is the most popular audio one.

Thank you. So I cant do anything unless I use virtual loopback MIDI and Audio drivers? Ok, thanks for the heads up!

Should I be getting a sound out of VCV by itself as a stand alone? I am NOT getting any sound.

Yes you should

Have you choosen an Audio device in the audio module ?

VCV is meant to work standalone! If you’re not getting sound out of it, you’ll have to troubleshoot that before you work on integrating it to anything else.

1 Like

Arggg, just found where I point to my card. Sorry about that. Thank you so much for your guidance.

" I have always depended on the kindness of strangers ."

3 Likes

No problem ! Have fun with VCV now that everything works :slight_smile: