Need some guidance on beginning plugin development

Yes, a Rack plugin must be written in C++. From C++, you can call into anything you want, including DSP kernels written in other languages.

2 Likes

Not sure what a DSP kernel is but I will keep this in mind…

1 Like

I’ve not coded before, but I can read. I may not be able to walk but i can at least try crawling in other peoples footsteps :wink:

1 Like

That’s why you need the Basics! The Videos posted in post #2 will give you a good starting point to familiarise yourself with C++.

You can apply the basic logic you learn to Rack. The Logic across all Languages is pretty much the same.

1 Like

Do you have any specific questions about the mute8 code? If you are not able understand the source code you won’t understand my answers to those questions either.

yes is a nodal approach to build Rack plugins , the output is the source code that can be compiled . is really great since not require coding skills

it coming with greats blocks an you can make your owns too.

ahh yes, I m using it to make guitar FX (and plans to make some synths)

the GECO group in facebook

3 Likes

I encountered an error when I tried to run the vult compiler in the MSYS2 terminal as opposed to the VSC Windows Powershell terminal, and assumed these tutorials were out of date…

Came back this morning and mustve figured out in my sleep what I did wrong, and it worked!

Massive relief as these tutorials really are exactly what I was looking for.

1 Like

on second thought I may have tried executing in the wrong directory the first time XD

Well now you have a very resource full thread here with many tips and links to stuff that might be useful for you. Hope to see some plugins from you in time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then you really need to take twenty steps back, play around with something like GDevelop or Scratch until you get the general concepts down, and graduate to something like Python or Ruby.

Audio modules are not only very math heavy but also demand to be implemented efficiently.

1 Like

I’ve already designed my Panel, no turning back… hahahAHAHAHA

1 Like

very sorry for the bump! stupid question, but do i need to watch the whole series before i even think about development? i want to pace myself and also quench my excitement

1 Like

this is a good place to start.

2 Likes

We’re on the same boat. Did you the plugin development tutorial?

1 Like
2 Likes

about 15 videos into cherno’s series, i feel dumb as a rock lol. i’m gonna keep at it though!

*BIG BIG THANK YOU TO VORTICO, i’m gonna study up in the coming months!!

1 Like

I’ve build 6 modules in the last 2 weeks without knowing c++ very well. I couldnt create anything from scratch, but you dont have to because does the initial creation. if you know c++ sort of then you can google the specifics of things like or etc.

1 Like

Developing Virtual Synthesizers with VCV Rack By Leonardo Gabrielli

https://www.routledge.com/Developing-Virtual-Synthesizers-with-VCV-Rack/Gabrielli/p/book/9780367077730

Resources and examples here:

I have not read it yet.

2 Likes