Need a powerful amp - a missing module?

Hello,

After some serious filtering, from time to time I need some serious amplification to recover some amplitude. I was surprised not to find a very powerful amplifier, something with several decades of dBs. The most powerful I could find is the VCAmp from Bogaudio, which provides +12dB, so I use several of them in series.

I know there are other solutions (multiply a signal and a knob’s CV in Sonus Dept’s Paramath module, but it’s not really intuitive, or use the Formula from Frank Buss but it doesn’t go beyond -5V/+5V).

A simple, big slider, with a log scale labelled in dBs going from, 0dB to, say, +60dB would be very cool. Does it exist yet or is there anyone willing to develop such a beastie?

As far as I know, I haven’t seen such module but you can easily make serious amplification with nysthi’s ConstAddMult: feed your signal in A, set B on the LED display (up to 100) and get amplified output AxB

Hope this is what you’re looking for.

3 Likes

just disable clamp switch

1 Like

I would try ZOD from Autinn followed by LMTR from Bogaudio

1 Like

Bark Clamp +24.082dB, +48.164dB gain when attenuverter is set to x2 the signal is hard clipped at 0dB

1 Like

Are you trying to blow up the world?! That’s louder than Trump!

Not really, it gets clamped / hard clipped at 0dB. The signal will never really go over 0dB, a signal which has low volume i.e. -96dB would be increased to -48dB.

Flame?

You could need it after a VCF in lowpass mode with a very, very low cutoff frequency - quite useful to have random, slow and continuous signal from white noise.

Then… Vult Caudal… Or walk (bogaudio)… Not the same randomness formula, but smooth, slow, delightful random sources anyway. :wink:

1 Like

Edit: I forgot Nysthi’s ConstAddMult, which does the job without any additional module, so this is the real winner! (attached comparison patch edited as well).

A lot of gain - 5 solutions.vcv (14.1 KB)

…there’s also another kind with Squinky Labs LFN…

Yep… Wikid stuff also and Nysthi’s source of uncertainty… Probably many others… Even Marbles.

2 Likes

The versatile and powerful (if slightly hard to use) Submarine Arithmetic Operators series deserves a mention too.

2 Likes