"musical pals" 5?

Yo! I haven’t had much time for making full patches lately, I was bored of the same ol same ol, and so I made a little modular drum machine (kick, snare, & hihat) with free modules. Anyone want to mess with it by adding more drums, melody, harmony, whatever? I just set up a pretty lame sequence to hear the sounds right away and there is no effects yet. Feel free to change/add anything and everything, including the clock, sequence, mixer, effects, sounds, who cares. Add 1 part, add several parts, delete ppl’s parts, finish the whole thing, twist one knob, or turn your nose up at it and move on! My only ask is don’t use any ready-made drum sounds or sample-based modules.

When you add to the patch, include your name, and update the version number chronologically. And you can go back to previous versions if you don’t like the latest version. Have fun and I won’t be offended if no one takes me up on this.

Here’s the patch: ModularDrumBox001 (Adi).vcv (32.0 KB)

Here’s a Strip file of the drum kit if you rather bring into your own template patch: (you’ll need to change from *.vcv to *.vcvss and load as a Strip preset): ModularDrumBox001 (Adi) StripFile.vcv (29.1 KB)

2 Likes

Hi Adi, good to see a new try on the musical pals, yoiu just need to rename the file type of strip presets from vcvss to vcv and tell explain this change in the description here. :wink:

like I did here:

1 Like

Ah I see, good call @rsmus7 ! Going to edit the original post…

Added a melody voice and some reverb/delay. Key of G minor. Chord progression - G, Eb, Bb, F. Had to change to a bigger mixer.

ModularDrumBox002 (Adi-Flydoggy).vcv (68.8 KB)

1 Like

Hi @AdiQ this is my little add for Musical Pals. Don’t have much time to build something big. I decide to make little strip file with Seasons sequecer and Basal from Vult to play live :D. Cheers

Here’s a Strip file of the drum kit if you rather bring into your own template patch: (you’ll need to change from *.vcv to *.vcvss and load as a Strip preset): melodic seasons by Ghalebor.vcv (15.7 KB)

1 Like

Hey, thanks @rickglasser & @jedrzejewskimk for contributing to this! I was surprised & delighted by the direction both of you took it, which is what makes this fun. I adjusted the quantizer set-up in the Ghalebor strip to match Rick’s chord progression, added some tweaks here & there, and I realized you can type names in the mixer. Good times so far. Who’s next? :slight_smile: ModularDrumBox003 (Adi-Flydoggy-Ghalebor).vcv (100.6 KB)

1 Like

Love the Slew/Gliss you added to the melody and @Jedrzejewskimk’s arp.

1 Like

All looks avesome maybe sounds too (my poor computer can’t handle this at this level :D) I hope someone record final video. For now wait for next. :stuck_out_tongue: Cheers

1 Like

Ghalebor/Adi: Here is a short taste of where we are. I added a compressor and mid/side encoder to widen the stereo field. ModularDrumBox004 (Adi-Flydoggy-Ghalebor).vcv (106.3 KB)

I think it sounds really good! :grinning::clap:

4 Likes

Lovely stuff ! Keep up the good work rackers !

@AdiQ Hope you are doing good and that Uni isn’t too hard on you these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh It souds realy cool, I’m glad to hear how it works together at this step. I can imagine how grow this project :slight_smile: So who is next? BTW thanks @AdiQ for upgrade fixing my addition. :smile: Cheers

1 Like

Very nice, love the stereo image! Thanks for recording that! And I’m not totally sure, but it’s possible that reset button needs to be hit so the lfo, divider, & Seasons lines up. In hindsight, I probably should have just used Clocked lol

Oh man, Uni is rough! I’m hanging in there though, I hope you are too my friend. Good thing there is VCV to keep us sane…

1 Like

No problemo Mateusz, it was a lovely addition you made that fit the larger piece :slight_smile: Yes who is next?! Someone could easily dirty this patch up and bring it to a new place, or we could start Musical Pals 6 :wink:

2 Likes

@AdiQ I thought I hit the reset before recording, but it may have slipped my mind. I know I added a couple more connections to the reset. The LFO does make it tricky to keep things lined up, but not a bit problem. I also think that Debriatus and T-rex de-tune the Seasons notes just enough that it can sometimes sound off-key.

1 Like

Wonderful patch, thank you. For some reason it reminds me of the song “Canción de invierno”. I made a fork from version 003, took apart the generative part and added a sequencer for fixed chords and melody. The chord progression and the melody of the coda almost no repetitions, I had to stop when I reached the letter Z of I love cookies (great module). ModularDrumBox003b-(Adi-Flydoggy-Ghalebor)-cover.vcv (215.1 KB)

Original by Silvio Rodríguez

7 Likes

Wow! Amazing fork of the patch. :clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Oh Man. It’s a wonderfull thing @Cabotage_KSM. I love this :smiley:

1 Like

Wow, you brought that to a new level. Great job, its beautiful!

1 Like

Thank you pals!

1 Like