Monome modules dev log

You motivated me to take another look at what was going wrong with the ansible keys, and I found the solution. Here’s an updated v2.git.042a9ce0 build: https://github.com/Dewb/monome-rack/actions/runs/1314401138

The build above also adds the ability to “hold” the ansible keys with Ctrl-click (or Cmd-click on macOS) the same way you can hold keys on the virtual grid. I also recommend MIDI mapping the module buttons and knobs (especially the teletype param knob, this is the only way to access the keyboard+param knob shortcuts in tracker mode, for example.)

2 Likes

First thoughts on the new Ansible (Kria, Meadowphysics, Earthsea) module for Rack 2.

I know you said the unreleased modules are incomplete, but so far this is fantastic! I’ve been following along this YouTube tutorial for Kria (whitewhale update) –

Monome Ansible Kria Tutorial by Puscha

and it works really well.

Tips

• use ASR or Slew for better Duration effect
  • use VCV Notes for documentation and save as a preset; labels from Glue by Stoermelder works great on the individual modules
  • unlike the individual modules, ansible does not save what’s playing if you exit VCV (is this permanent?) unless you save the pattern(s) as a preset within the grid. Learn how to do this asap. See the end of the video.

Questions

• Given that patches are saved through preset patterns in the Grid, how does one share a monome patch?
  • I noticed there is no name on the modules (makes sense, trademark). May I suggest Mon Homme? Sorry, couldn’t help myself :wink:

As for Earthsea, the update is much more usable (no controller needed) than the standalone version. I hoping to use this to help me learn/master the fretboard.

Meadowphysics appears to work like the standalone version. Haven’t really tested it out yet.

Thanks

edited: Stoermelder module is Glue – to label buttons – not Strip

3 Likes

Is it possible to use a real monome grid with virtual ansible?

Yes it is!

2 Likes

Builds for Rack 2.git.219bbaf1 are downloadable here:

In addition to the SDK update, this also brings in a couple of small fixes to improve performance and have I/o behavior more closely match hardware behavior.

3 Likes

I know it’s not in the hardware, but a reset input for White Whale would be very useful. Is this possible? thanks!

That would indeed be useful. Unfortunately the plan is to keep the Rack modules identical to the hardware (since they run more or less the same firmware code.)

The hardware White Whale does support a reset via Teletype II ops, so if and when I get around to implementing II, perhaps I can also add expander modules for White Whale and Earthsea so you can access those extra abilities without Teletype.

1 Like

Here’s the final 1.x alpha build. I was hoping to get this out before 2.0 was final, but I was a few hours short! I’ll have a release for Rack 2.0.0 out shortly, maybe tomorrow.

Here’s a silly little video using all four modules with an official 2021-edition monome grid, a gorgeous piece of hardware:

4 Likes

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback on ansible! I finally got a chance to try out Stoermelder Glue, and wow, using it to label the grid is an excellent idea, I may use that strategy to document some sample patch files for people to learn how to use learn the grid interfaces more easily.

Re: saving patches, yep, that’s one of the last issues keeping it from being complete. I do eventually expect it to save working memory even if you don’t explicitly save a preset. Doing this for ansible is a little more complex than with the other modules, because of its multi-app design. I also hope to eventually add a patch text file export for ansible, similar to how you can use the right-click menu to simulate USB patch export on teletype.

Ansible earthsea and standalone earthsea are almost different modules. The ansible version is clockable and polyphonic, but aside from that it’s much simpler; it lacks the rune-controlled CV outs of the standalone version. I like having both accessible!

1 Like

Thanks. Glad I could be some help. These are really fun to play with once you know what doing. Thanks for making them and continuing to improve them.

1 Like

Hey Michael,

I am really looking forward to using my grid with Rack2. is there maybe a beta version that I could already use? And if you need some help for testing, please let me know.

Thank you, Joop

There’s a minor issue with grid protocol switching in 2.0.0 that I didn’t see when testing with the Rack 2.0 beta releases. I didn’t have the opportunity to fix it this weekend, but I hope to be able to get to it by the end of the week and post a new build here.

FYI now that the beta period is over, I’m going to mark ansible “hidden” until it’s complete. So if you are already using it in patches it will still load, but it wont be placeable in new patches. Let me know if anyone has concerns about that.

I’m a bit confused. Is that a beta for 1.0, or for 2.0? I only see betas for 1.0 on the github.

There are betas for 2.0.x under the Actions tab on the repo. You need a GitHub account to access the Artifacts (the “builds” that came out of specific commits) but if my memory works, you might already have one.

The one Dewb posted up there is for 1.1.x … not sure what the differences are besides panel graphics having a facelift and probably a different Teletype firmware revision.

Yes, I have one. Thank you very much! Playing around with it now :slight_smile:

Here’s the latest test build for Rack 2.0.x, for anyone willing to give some feedback before the next alpha release:

2 Likes

I only use Teletype, for now. No problems to report w/ Rack 2.0.3b at this point - solid.

New Rack 2.0.x alpha:

Rack SDK v2.0.3
earthsea v1.9.4 4b88b2e
meadowphysics v2.1 39a2139
teletype v4.0.0 efd6503
white whale v1.5 6dfef61

Installation instructions

First, delete any previous versions (folders or .zip/.vcvplugin files) of the plugin from the plugins folder within your Rack2 user folder. Then download the .vcvplugin file for your platform from the links below. Place the file in your Rack2/plugins folder, and restart Rack.

The exact user folder location depends on your OS version and cloud-documents integrations, here are some suggestions to find it reliably:

• MacOS: Finder, Go menu, click Documents > Rack2/plugins
  • Windows: Right-click Explorer on taskbar, click Documents > Rack2/plugins
  • Linux: ~/.Rack2/plugins

Additional info is available in the Rack documentation on installing non-library plugins.

NOTE: For maximum safety, you may also want to export Teletype scenes from your favorite patches before upgrading.

Changelog from v1.0.0-alpha4 to v2.0.0-alpha5:

• VCV Rack 2 Free support
    • Graphics refresh to match Rack 2 aesthetic
    • More informative jack and knob tooltips
    • Streamlined right-click menus
    • Provisional support for VCV Rack 2 Pro VST
      • still testing different DAW/OS combinations; please share your observations
  • New option to decrease I/O sampling rate for reduced CPU use
    • Modules primarily interact with control-rate signals, so processing I/O every step is unnecessary
    • Slight downsampling is enabled by default
    • I/O rate can be decreased even further, or increased back to audio-rate, from right-click menu
    • Timers and events always use wall-clock time and are not affected by downsampling
  • Teletype improvements
    • Screen drawing uses less CPU
    • Screen should not glitch when the Rack engine is stopped (e.g., when no audio output device is selected)
    • Built-in scenes available as factory presets in right-click Presets menu
    • Importing to the active scene changes
      • New behavior for Active Scene > Import from file and Active Scene > Paste and init new scene from clipboard: active scene will be cleared, new script loaded, and I init script will run, just as if the scene had been loaded from flash memory.
      • Additional option Active Scene > Paste and merge clipboard into current scene keeps the alpha2/3/4 behavior; you can paste a scene fragment or pattern block into your current scene without changing the rest of the scene. The init script will not be run automatically, even if the clipboard includes it.
  • Virtual grid improvements
    • Keys are now mappable with VCV MIDI Map
      • Note: VCV MIDI Map is unidirectional, with no LED feedback, so this is more useful for meta/alt keys than whole-grid MIDI mapping
    • Better handling of dragging across grid keys; previous key is released before next key is pressed
    • Keys held with Ctrl/Cmd-click are now drawn “pressed” rather than with a highlight ring
    • Grids have a more interesting preview image in the module library
4 Likes

Hi,

I really would like to learn these modules, but I have a question about hardware integration. Is it possible to map oder connect a non-monome grid-controller like a launchpad via midi or built a TouchOSC-Controller on an IPad and connect that somehow?

Thanks

The plug-in communicates with hardware using serialosc, so it will list whatever controllers serialosc reports. You could try one of the utilities out there to connect MIDI devices to serialosc, but I haven’t used and can’t recommend any of them.

1 Like