Module testament request

I have this, an 0-Coast and Digitakt.

I can see that it would be wise to try before I decide whether to go big on the rig I think. Odessa and ES-9 could do real nice in an Intellijel rack I think. I learned about the Xaoc Devices and Verbos Electronics etc. through State Azures vids. I never thought I would master music like him without extreme dedication and all his assortments of modules. For me gas, inspiration and total dedication can go far.

I won’t be healthy enough to load the whole State Azure trove in a 15 year period I know. My mind is going hal. That’s the ticket to a paradise parade! Plus my net is colocated. They just wanted more parades.

Just using specific gear/modules obviously won’t make the end result sound like State Azure (who does make great music). What you call ‘fidelity is poor’ in reviews and demos might actually be what you get straight out of the modules. Same for how you’re ‘not impressed’ by the DSI Evolver, a Dave Smith designed digital/analog hybrid synthesizer, an evolution from his other classic synths. Maybe it’s about your expectations? Maybe there is just much more to it?

Anyway…

There is a lot of gear (and knowledge and creativity) involved in a State Azure production. A ‘brief’ studio tour (a few moths ago) takes State Azure over ten minutes. The video sports an extensive gearlist in the description.

The tour isn’t my thing I just love the textural soundscapes with all the atmosphere and layers. I have the same studio desk as him and controller keyboard. I also own Bitwig but aside from that that’s all so far. His sound is very exotic but interestingly he even records his software only sessions with every edit he makes. Most of his rhythms I’m not into but he did some Bitwig plugin work that gives his modular work a run for it’s money. Decisions decisions decisions. Plugins I already own or module GAS.

Dude, it’s free. Cheaper than cheap. This thread is utterly baffling.

10 Likes

Hate to break it to you, but the gear doesn’t make the music. I thought it did, but the biggest asset in modular patching is experience with modular techniques and knowing your gear well enough to get your desired results. I’m The gear just lays there and waits on you. I hear people on modular that can’t make it jam and I hear people on software that really can jam hard, it the technique not the toys. Seems you want to own some hardware, so skip VCV and start building your dream rig bit by bit and learn each component well before adding another.

4 Likes

yes, of course there are. there are many actually.

I have my favourites vcos vcfs and so on.

everybody has.

I have my small hybrid setup on a fantastic room, but most of the times I find the most creative myself on just a laptop, whatever headphones or speaker I have…and just the basic vcv modules.

if you are new to modular and want to enter this world, just buy one or two behringer neutron(s), a (couple) dozen various cables, some controllers, and a dc coupled audio interface (I have an expert sleepers es-9, but there are many that get the job done).

you’re done for years, maybe for life. and when you feel like spending money on gear, save them until you have 5-10k. if you see some new module on the internet doing weird things, try to recreate it on vcv rack, or find a similar one. when you have saved a good amount of money, spend 50/60% on room treatment and 40/50% on the speaker(s). until that moment, go on with whatever you have.

at that point you will be much more wise, and realize something that toady you are still looking for :wink:

You mentioned the company that Shall Not Be Mentioned. If admins delete your reply that’s why.

My fantasy rig isn’t only for creative gains it’s desired for actual perceptible gains in fidelity vs plugin fidelity. I’m still curious about whether things like the Xaoc Devices and Verbos Electronics modules can have a fantastic fidelity gain compared to the ho-hum plugins because my 1st analog gear I bought isn’t perceivably better sounding than most of my plugins.

There are far more than 3000 analogue modules. It is slightly silly to use that logic.

Start with vcv basics. Add in stuff you like slowly. You can always unsubscribe to slim down what you have. There’s a favorites function in module browser to pair down quickly to what you actually use. That doesn’t exist in real world.

Also comparing boutique physical modules to those that people are making for free with their own time to give you you for free, is silly. Squinky works incredibly hard to make modules that are efficient and robust from a dsp standpoint. I don’t want to be that guy on the forum but I really do think it’s the time to say be appreciative of what’s been given to you freely. Calling someone’s work cheap is downright insulting.

7 Likes

No no don’t worry I like it alot. What I’m facing is that I just have problems in life and don’t want to invest in analog unless I can ensure it’s a huge boost in sound fidelity because the Youtube demo’s don’t show it. Squinky’s modules are not doubted enough to decide if I should only use those instead of making what amounts to an investment in 3 keyboards.

Really, I think measuring words when talking to people working freely for your own fun is not a large ask.

That said, The software hardware debate is one without clear answers. The one that fits the most is “depends” on what you want and what you need. I do think people saying GAS might cloud judgement do know what they are talking about, but hardware is right for some people.

The collection of modules here really can do so much, and they really are very impressive from a sound quality standpoint.

YMMV.

2 Likes

you could try to pass the audio through an old mixer or a bass amp, it’s cheap and usually it works

I’m picking through the thread to see if I missed anything and I missed your post. I may not be right about your module but I do know that the qualities of analog are prefered by many and noone discussed the concept on the the thread. I also note without snagging the reply to his post that baconpaul actually did make a cool patch I was just getting too tired.

are you serious about this, is it not allowed to mention the company here?

what did you buy, your first analog?

Your reply was deleted by admin. Seriously they do not like any mention of the company named after a small red fruit, & I don’t mean Apple.

I don’t know the story behind that. I just know it’s true.

I know one reason. This topic (VCV Rack) is for discussions of VCV Rack only. Here’s the link:

As one who has been banned here and threatened with banishment several times, I can say that while there is room for interpretation in this stuff, I have found that VCV does stick to their written rules, and don’t tend to be arbitrary and capricious about it.

Hello, are you there. Come out and play. Youtube demos are compressed so the synths sound much better in your house than they do there. Also in youtube even you can CLEARLY hear the difference between analog and “dedicated hardware digital” on one hand and vst stuff the other. I would say there is no debate about it, no debate at all and would challenge anybody to fight until the death that says otherwise or even better to throw them into an ocean of crocodiles from a helicopter.

Hybrid, whats the fuss you can get an analog for 250-350 bucks and then you do everything with it that is possible to it under the sun with a DC coupled interface.

Thats why VCV rack is so great. Because its like give the poor man so much ammunition, power to the people and everything else!