Module ideas

I developed the YAML parser in mruby a long time ago (http://mruby.org/libraries/), so I’m pretty familiar with it. It should be pretty easy if you want to add it to Prototype, maybe using the duktape engine as a reference. It’s definitely one of the slowest embedded languages, but you could create sequencers and utilities with it.

2 Likes

Wowzers nice!

Yeah, I don’t think it’d be hard to make it work for my own use case, and I definitely don’t expect it to have the kinda DSP performance LuaJIT or Vult can reach, haha.

But I have too little experience with that stuff, I’m sure I’d get non-obvious things wrong, and the audience for Ruby in VCV-Prototype is probably so tiny that big problems would go undetected for too long. If I’m gonna implement it myself I’d like to implement it to a level of quality sufficient to make it into the main plugin, so for now I’m just putting the idea out there.

this has been sort of realized now by BogAudio https://github.com/bogaudio/BogaudioModules/issues/129 Side effect, it’s a sweet sub octave gen that lets you do PWM as well.

Try out VCV Library - NYSTHI Simpliciter

Also gentle reminder

Post your module ideas here. Add as much detail as possible with examples, a summary of inputs, outputs, and parameters, “prior art” (previous similar modules for VCV Rack or hardware), and possible implementations. Make the name of each idea bold so others can easily reference your idea.

Saying “make for VCV Rack” isn’t an idea. Instead, post an original idea with lots of detail.

1 Like

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

From now on, I’ll remove posts without warning that don’t have a name, list of ports and parameters, and a description of the module’s entire functionality.

4 Likes

I’d love to use ruby in prototype. M

well, you can use it as a sub octave gen, but it aliases a lot if you do. Count modula has the same issue with the divider, but does helpfully point out in the manual that it’s not meant for audio rate use.

Midi Controllable Performance Quantizer

Ports: For 4 channel version it would need 4 cv-inputs, 4 quantized cv-outs, 4 triggers for triggering quantization

Parameters: An octave of keyboard that would determine notes available for quantizing. Additionally a midi input that reads midi notes, which can be used to change the quantization notes available.

Module’s entire functionality: Input control voltage, quantize it according to the notes determined by midi input from a specified channel, splurt out quantized cv to output. Do this for all four channels according to the same midi notes. EDIT: Clear earlier toggled notes, so that two chords consisting of different notes are not playing at the same time.

Additional ideas: Some form of functionality to determine scale from notes specified and fit the notes into that, but I’d be extremely happy just with the functionality mentioned above.

1 Like

Most of this is already possible (though not sure what you mean by ‘triggering’ quantization). There is no such thing as MIDI within VCV, just V/Oct & gate. ML Quantum set to poly gate mode can be fed a chord to set the scale, for 4 channels of that just use 4 instances. For a 4 channel quantizer check out Aria’s QQQQ or Repelzen Re-Win (others are available).

1 Like

And that one lets you set the scale from incoming poly CV. btw - you are right that poly CV is way more appropriate for VCV than MIDI, but it is technically possible for a VCV module to get MIDI directly. I always have to remind myself that there is nothing that the VCV Core modules do that third party modules can’t do.

1 Like

Ah, so it seems, thanks for the reply.

Well then, I tried using MIDI-CV with polyphonic V/Oct and Gate outs with ML Quantum. So it works in theory, but I guess the reason I called it performance quantizer was so that when you toggle certain notes on, then go and toggle another totally different notes, the first ones wouldn’t stay on but would be cleared, just like playing a piano or a MIDI keyboard. Added that feature now as an edit to my original post.

1 Like

Live and learn, I suppose. Thanks for the reply.

Okay, this might start to get off topic, but the problem I now have with Quantum and MIDI-CV is that the notes don’t latch until the next ones are played, but instead work again like a piano without a sustain pedal. Is there any combination of modules I could trick the Quantum to think that the Toggle is on until new set of notes from MIDI-CV are played again?

Not an issue when using a DAW as MIDI output, but when playing with a keyboard without sustain pedal, it gets a bit annoying when you have to hold the notes until the next chord / scale change.

Ok, you’ll need to send a (monophonic) reset pulse to Quantum a sample before your notes / gates, so they need to be delayed.

4 Likes

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Forgot to add, switch to legacy mode for this.

Let me know if it does what you want.

There’s probably a better way of doing this.

Could a mod split this into it’s own thread please :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the mention you two :smiley:

Without going off-topic too much, I want to add, this is specifically what Quale does in my system. It converts a polyphonic chord (easily sent via MIDI + a S&H to latch) to a Poly External Scale that my quantizer recognizes, and can act as a QQQQ expander when placed directly to its left.

3 Likes

Overlay for written notes

Not sure if this is possible but it would be cool to have a dark overlay like the Modular Fungi dark mode, but where you could type text, draw lines, and add images. This would be good to notate the function of complex patches/compositions.

1 Like