Module ideas

Thanks, I’ll try them both out tomorrow! I scrolled right past Booty Shifter, thinking it was for transposing CV… Should I delete my post?

There’s nothing wrong with your post. And it’s free advertising for me :wink:

I made my first freq shifter in 1997, and booty shifter was my first VCV module.

2 Likes

RackSuiteCase

inspired by STRIP and GLUE @stoermelder I was thinking about something like a case for a bunch of modules. It should basically be a frame, with the possibility to lock all incorporating modules and simple stuff like that. If I drag the case by its frame everything inside (labels, cables ecc…) should follow. I don’t know if it is possible of course :broccoli:

2 Likes

I would love to have the possibility to have ghost notes in drum modules, like having normal+accents+ghost. and it could go even crazier with accents for the ghost. i know there is Entrian drums that is possible to do this.But would be awsome to have this like an expansion for some drum module. let me know what you think.

1 Like

Video module

I have a banal and rather simple idea. It’s not from the field of sound processing, but anyway. We need a module that can display a webcam or other video source, including a file. This is not a very popular request, but such a module can come in handy for recording a screen, broadcasting or live performance. The panel can be resizable, I saw examples of such panels before. And I saw a module with a webcam, but it was in version 0.6.

Although given the complexity of video processing, the severity of this process, fuss with codecs etc, maybe this is not the best thing in the world, yes.

2 Likes

That was my module utilizing webcam and OpenCV, maybe I should finish it at last. DSW Vision 2 'Flow alpha' (currently macOS only)

4 Likes

Just a reminder…

1 Like

Waiting for this a long time !

MIDI clock smoother: this reads MIDI clock from external devices and applies a “smoothing” algorithm to mitigate some the the jitter that seems to be inherent to MIDI clock (in VCV). Basically outputs a clock (right click PPQN is nice) with a knob that can control the smoothness. It might not result in the exact tempo on the midi device which could be interesting for phasing types effects. Bonus point for a built-in toggle switch that can be used to toggle “run” controls on popular midi clock modules (e.g. impromptu, ZZC).

3 Likes

Have you tried the BPM tools from ML Modules? That can produce steady clocks from input with some jitter or also missing beats.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

I was wondering if it will be possible (with the headless v2) to convert a patch into an executable file, and run it on a server…so I have my evolving patch running forever

You can do this yourself with a little programming.

1. Convert a patch to a C++ string.
  2. Modify Rack to load the string as a a patch and go.

It wouldn’t be THAT hard to wrap this in a script, so you could do it with an arbitrary patch file. At this point the biggest sticking point is that there’s no headless version.

Oh and with Rack 2.0, you can probably write a simple wrapper and call into the Rack shared library and you’re done. Wouldn’t even need the Rack source, just the shared library.

EDIT: could use a little help (or more intelligence in the wrapper program) with things like setting the output device.

1 Like

Andrew’s gonna hunt me down with spears and tridents for saying this but… that’s actually some pretty spot-on panel graphics! i second this idea.

You can try asking PYER about panel redesigns so that it fits within the Ethics Guidelines, if you really want it on the VCV library.

Just for safety purposes, I’d ask Chris Muir (he’s EarDrill on muffs) about this before releasing it. He probably would just say yes (or he could think of a condition in which to release it on at the very worst), but it’s a very good safety measure to prevent unwanted situations.

i like the panel graphics too. unfortunately it would not be allowed into the vcv library as is.

i’ve actually talked with @ntfybs a little bit. he has tried to contact Chris Muir and afaik he never received a reply. he was planning to redesign this module and had some others planned. personally im looking forward to them. the more buchlaesque modules the better.

That would be a IP theft from Alameda! which is a pure IP theft of Buchla :slight_smile:

I would be happy to help but my schedule is really full with other groovy project :slight_smile: I’m sure you can make it your own by messing with the layout and colors.

1 Like

Quad Bernoulli Gate 1 gate input 4 gate outputs 3 knobs (with CV inputs)

simply :slightly_smiling_face:

quad

1 Like

Gate Divider

setting:

gate count, 0-100

input:

gate

gate count V 0-10 -> 0-100 counted gates, overrides setting knob.

optional:

start pulse

stop pulse

output:

gate

gate inverted

Creates a gate with the length of the counted amount of gates. Starts a output gate on the first rise, ends it on counted n drops, then stays ‘silent’ for the next n gates. Optional: starts and stops counting on a pulse, if not connected it just runs.

EDIT: two switches to select whether a new gate should start / end on a rise or fall.

EDIT2: separate setting for the count/division for the high part and the low part of the new gate. Changed the name to gate divider.

you can use flip flop after a janneker

1 Like

I’ll have a look, thanks.

Count Modula Clocked Random Gates essentially does this and you get up to 8 gate outputs. For only 4 gates, set the remaining 4 to 0 probability. Single mode gives you only 1 gate output on at any time and the probability is relative to the other gates. Multi mode gives you 4 independant random gates.

3 Likes