VCV Console: Midi control of mute/solo not behaving?

Hiya. I’m trying to control the mute on VCV Console from a midi controller pad. The pad is set to toggle but it takes two presses for each toggle action on the Console (i.e. two presses to mute, two presses to unmute). It seems my controller and the midi message is working because I can get the normal behavior using the BogAudio Mute 8. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

I think Bogaudio is using a different method in his code, not sure though.

It seems like it. I tried it also with cf’s Stereo module and the behavior was even wonkier.

You can use the LVL input of VCV Console to gate the channel. Or you can switch your MIDI controller to momentary rather than latching.

This worked, guess I should have tried that. Thanks!

Hi @Vortico I came here to post a feature request regarding this and would like your thoughts/considerations about shutting off the switch at 0v in order to improve “performability” of console. The midi controller I’m using provides visual feedback with illuminated buttons. However with how the CV is handled, neither toggle nor momentary can provide relevant visual feedback.

Here is my practical understanding of how it works today based on experimenting this afternoon with precise voltages:

The CV input requires a signal to provide 2v to trigger a state change the solo/mute. It will not recognize another trigger (passing of the 2v threshold) unless the signal falls below 1v (.999). Once the signal has gone below 1v, anytime it hits or passes the 2v threshold, another state change will be triggered.

From this operation, it must already be tracking both a low and high threshold of the signal. I would like to request that the passing of low threshold of the signal be the actual “off” trigger. By doing so, the visual feedback of a backlit button would represent the actual state of the solo/mute (s/m below) in both toggle and momentary modes.

As it functions today (with controller in toggle/latch mode):

Btn Press 1 - Btn Light ON - s/m state changed to ON
Btn Press 2 - Btn Light OFF - s/m state unchanged
Btn Press 3 - Btn Light ON - s/m state changed to OFF
Btn Press 4 - Btn Light OFF - s/m state unchanged

In Momentary mode, the button will also not provide corect feedback as it will only illuminate whilst being pressed, and remain dark even when the state of the s/m is ON.

I think it would be very useful to be able to represent the state of these controls on the external hardware as more people integrate Rack into their larger setups, whether because they won’t be always facing the laptop, because the screen is not front and center of the setup, or even so the VCV window can be focused on other more functional modules.

I understand this wouldn’t be a high priority even if you understand my position and agree that it would be for the better. I also understand if you’d prefer not to do it. But IMO it would be net benefit for the control-ability of the console without changing much about it’s functionality.

Andrew almost never looks at feature requests here, you might want to open a git hub feature request :wink: . But in the meanwhile, some users might come here to discuss about this with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I was on Github and couldn’t decide what the most appropriate place to submit the request would be. Since it isn’t a Fundamental module, I suppose in the Rack issue tracker? Also, I realized this morning that using the midi mapper instead of the midi->CV converter gives the operation I want, while also leaving the CV channels open for other modulation possibilities, so… derp? :laughing:

2 Likes

For commercial VCV products, customers can send an email. https://vcvrack.com/contact.html I don’t always read forum posts, (of course I saw this one because of the title) so email is the most reliable way.

2 Likes

Thanks @Vortico. I’ll bring this one into email but I did figure out just now that it isn’t possible to use the CV inputs on solo/mute if they’ve been mapped to midi. Level and Pan work fine, but the mutes/solos don’t seem to respond to CV or manual input once they’ve been mapped to a CC.