Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Iā€™m an astrologer, mystic and ex-tarot reader. I predict that within a year you will be coding your own VCV plugin :smiley:

10 Likes

:smiley: hmmm yesā€¦must resistā€¦

I came looking for ā€˜a better keyboard synthā€™ and found that for sure. But this generative music is really something. What a wonderful rabbit hole to go down

8 Likes

Hey folks! Long time lurker, first time caller. Was a pro Muso for a number of years, then moved abroad and scaled it back a bit, but keep my hand in as much as possible. Been patching for a while now and interest/knowledge in DSP has been growing for some time, and since you all seem such a fine bunch of folk I just wanted spend some time here to learn, maybe help and give something back to the community if the opportunity ever presents itself. I have a couple of friends over here already providing some encouragement, but looking forward to chatting with more of you on the boards too! Happy to test modules - just PM me!

Happy patching. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

You are seriously mistaken! Where did you get that notion? :smile:

3 Likes

My first post, and Iā€™m already getting heckled :joy: But seriously, this community is doing something really noteworthy not just in itā€™s output, but also in the spirit with which it conducts itself. A real pleasure to be here!

13 Likes

Hi Everyone.Been lurking for a few weeks,and consuming tutorial videos. It was one of Omri_Cohenā€™s that brought me here,in the first place.Seems that sometimes the YouTube algorithm really throws up something wonderful.[I was already just beginning to dabble with Voltage Modular,so that probably had something to do with it,but even so].

Iā€™m completely new to modular,so have a very long way to go,but have some experience with the DAW/VST world. Prior to that,Iā€™ve played piano since I was a kid,and picked up a few synths and samplers along the way.

VCV seems to be almost too good to be true : Free to start,and free to expand.How often do you find that ? Maybe never,at least at this level of quality.

I definitely will be buying some premium module,both because theyā€™re great,and to support the Devs,and VCV itself. Also,the Devs who produce,sometimes large,collections of great modules,all free of charge,deserve support,too. Does joining GitHub somehow help them ? I got that impression,somehow,but donā€™t know anything about it,or how it might work.

I could go on,and on,but instead I just like to say a friendly hello,to everyone. This seems like very knowledgable,and friendly,community.I hope to get to know at least some of you,as time goes by.

Best wishes to everyone.

15 Likes

25 posts were split to a new topic: BrightThunder

Iā€™ve been a professional graphic designer for over 25 years nowā€¦ which means for 25 years clients have been paying me to design things for them.

I started conceiving/designing my first module for VCV nearly a year ago (MindMeld MixMaster). Itā€™s pretty much the first thing Iā€™ve designed in 25 years that has been purely for the love and enjoyment of it, rather than because someone else was paying me to do it.

Itā€™s been a truly liberating experience and a joy to focus my skills on something for no other reason than because I want to. Seeing it get well received and used by so many people has been fantastic - and of course none of it would have been possible without Marcā€™s awesome coding skills.

That said, as with all the developers of free modules Iā€™m sureā€¦donations are always hugely appreciated :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Hi everybody!

Iā€™m Matt and Iā€™ve been lurking here for about half a year now. Iā€™m a big free and open source software advocate, so naturally Iā€™m loving the community built around VCV Rack.

Iā€™m an audio-visual artist, developer and researcher - and have gravitated towards using Rack as a way to incorporate sound design and analysis into my main focus which is building tools for the visualisation of music.

Iā€™m particularly interested in mixed reality techā€¦ placing virtual elements into the real world in musical performance contextsā€¦ Here is an example of one of my collaborations with a colleague of mine (Alon Ilsar) to give you an idea of what I mean:

Iā€™ve been using VCV Rack as an interface to create graphics with custom modules that allow me to control the Unity game engine. I actually presented the system as a demo at this yearā€™s NIME conferenceā€¦ here is the demo video for those interested! (just ignore the part about it being available online lol)

I want to release these graphics-oriented modules soon for others to use - sometime over the next month or so - and share my system for integrating VCV Rack and Unity. I thought Iā€™d introduce myself before I do so!

So, hello guys and gals! Iā€™m very glad this community exists!

20 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: eidetic introduction (moved from Member Introductions)

Hello Iā€™m also Matt, from Massachusetts. Iā€™m not any kind of coder or computer person, Iā€™m a musician with a degree from jazz school and a long list of bands Iā€™ve played in. I also had a radio show playing mondo-obscuro pop music for some years

Iā€™ve been making electronic ambient music, when I have the opportunity - meaning, with interruptions measured in years - since about 2005 or so. Iā€™ve used Reason a lot, some PureData, and a little tiny bit of SuperCollider, Most recently I took advantage of quarantine to complete a draft of a 24-hour ambient musical clock / sound sculpture, which you can stream at surreptitiousmusic.com. This took a tremendous amount of work to plan and realize, all in Reason - my MacBook is to old to run VCV Rack well, but as I type the parts of a new, custom-built PC are on their way to my house so I can run this software and (hopefully) build something complex and beautiful. So: In the coming weeks look for me asking questions about various control systems, and eventually also about how to livestream VCV Rack over Internet. I thought it might be considerate to introduce myself here firstā€¦

m

7 Likes

Hi everybody,

Iā€™m Marshall, Iā€™m a mathematician very interested in music and synthesis. Over the last year Iā€™ve finally gotten into actually writing music and exploring lots of hardware and software. Iā€™m a big fan of SuperCollider but now I am also tremendously excited by VCV. I had a lot of module ideas but then realized most of them have already been created - thanks!! One thing Iā€™d like to make is a Hidden Markov Model sequencer, but I think its hard to design a good interface for a general one. I really like the Darius module which has an interesting balance in its capabilities and simplicity. Thanks so much for all the work people have put into this system!

8 Likes

@StoneyDSP : Hi Nathan.Nice to meet you,so to speak. I canā€™t really welcome you,since you were here first.Even so,welcome,anyway.If thatā€™s okay with you.

1 Like

I think there are a couple of markov thingsā€¦ Isnā€™t Mr. Chainikov still around?

1 Like

As far as I can tell, Mr. Chainkov generates a first-order Markov model for a given input sequence. What I want is a Hidden Markov Model (HMM), which has an underlying Markov state sequence (the ā€œhiddenā€ states), and each state in that sequence has a set of emissions (CV values) with corresponding emission probabilities. Its not that hard to code for a bounded set of hidden states and emissions, I think the real challenge is the interface.

1 Like

Hi Matt,and welcome,from another relative newcomer.Iā€™m no coder either,but would call myself a musician,though not a degreeā€™d one,just a long-time enthusiastic amateur.

We have a couple of things in common,it seems,as Iā€™m also planning a new self-built PC,mainly for VCV Rack,but also to run various VSTs,using the Host module.Havenā€™t quite finished the researchphase,yet,but can also hardly wait to place the orders,and get building. Hope your system works out well for you.

Wow, this is brilliant! My dream is to have live visuals to go with my musicā€¦

2 Likes

I feel a little silly showing the whole world what I paid for all this stuff, but hereā€™s the system we settled on

1 Like

Hey,nothing to feel silly about there at all.That looks like a lovely system,and reasonably priced.

You should definitely be able to build complex, beautiful patch creations with this.

Oh,and if you want even more power in the future,you can always sell the 3700x,and get a 4700x [when theyā€™re actually released]. Iā€™m not saying youā€™ll need it.Itā€™s just nice to have a drop-in replacement upgrade like that available,should you ever want it.

From what Iā€™ve read on this forum,the 3700x is quite a beast. Wish you good health,and good patching. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello good people. I posted here the other week and it occurs to me that I havenā€™t formally introduced myself. Apologies if Iā€™ve broken convention!

My name is Mark, and Iā€™m a technologist by trade.

My main musical interests lie in generative/algorithmic composition and microtonalities.

On the generative side, Iā€™ve primary been exploring a class of algorithms designed to capture the attributes of systems that exhibit spontaneous order and self-organization. If youā€™re interested I have a short write up on my website:

https://www.pataphysical.info/emergent-music.html

as well as more detailed information on my music site (linked from there).

On the micro tonalities side, I maintain a package designed to explore them ā€“ think of a Scala, but implemented in python:

https://pytuning.readthedocs.io/en/0.7.2/

(ā€œMaintainā€ is actually a strong word; I tend to throw things out and then not really look at them for a few years!).

If youā€™re interested in what microtonal, generative electronic dance music sounds like:

https://www.pataphysical.info/overunity-dance-music-for-the-multiverse.html

but it is a little off-topic for this site, as I didnā€™t use VCV rack on it (that album was produced with some synths I programmed in CSound and the Yoshimi soft-synth).

Iā€™ve been working with VCV since about the beginning of the year, and frankly I love it. I havenā€™t released anything yet, but I have a few tracks for my next album done (when itā€™s done itā€™ll be released with a Creative Commons license, as is all my music).

I use VCV on Linux ā€“ Iā€™ve been single-booting Linux since the days of the monolithic kernel!

I have a few ideas for modules. For example, I think a good first project would be to add microtonal support to one of the open source quantizers. NYSTHI has a Scala-based quantizer, but it isnā€™t open source, so it could in theory go away, locking folks out of their music.

Getting up to speed om module development may take me a little while though. Iā€™ve been working for a couple of years as a developer, but not a C++ one!

5 Likes