Max practical CPU usage to aim for?

Hi

I did tweak the autosave settings as I noticed glitches on heavy patches at each autosave. To do so, you need to edit the settings-v1.json file where you will find a line for the autosave time.

have fun, cheers

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but I keep claiming that realtime thread priority is a must. If the audio was running at a higher priority, then autosave and other UI stuff should not interfere with audio. Of course if the issue is in the device driver for the disk all hope is lost on that.

I used to make a plugin called “Thread Booster”, and that’s all it did. I gladly discontinued it when 1.0 came out, as it was superfluous. But it was pretty popular in the 0.6 days.

I probably misspoke, because I don’t disagree with this.

I don’t mean to imply it will use more CPU than it needs, but that it will max out a thread if it needs it – it doesn’t hold back.

3 Likes

Hello

VCV is set to realtime with 2 or 3 cpu (out of 4). I raised this glitch at autosave issue when I’ve started using VCV. In fact my rack folder is located in a global folder synchronized with my NAS. Each new/modified file is autosaved on my NAS and I can see the notification. At each autosave I can see the popup notification “1 file saves: autosave.vcv” and I was wondering how a 100 kb file saving can create glitches.

I know, I know… and I did it after, deactivate the notification and the WIFI :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers

spontex

@spontex.merlin Thanks, yes I found the setting in the .json file. Just to say, I don’t get glitches at the moment on autosave (and the files are small). Just I noticed it in the resources trace. I do get glitches if I try to run open other apps while Rack is running, possibly relating to I/O. And I think the answer is simply not to run them!

I’m sorry, I have the same issue, I don’t quite get how I can fix the issue.

yeah, sometime rack prefers to be run alone on the computer :slight_smile: