Looking for plugin ideas

have you tried this one yet? https://www.animated-circuits.com/#Welcome

Slic;

Phase distortion oscillator The name says it all : it is a ’ SL ice of Cosm IC ’ ! This module is a phase distortion oscillator which produces its waveforms by distorting a sine wave. Changing the amount of distortion mimics the effect of a (resonant) filter. So, you can see the module as an integrated oscillator+filter !

It provides 2 waveforms:

• SAW : the resulting sound is a lowpass filtered sawtooth-like wave.
  • Reso2 : the resulting sound is a resonant / formant filtered triangle-like wave.

The distortion amount can be CV modulated to provide the filter sweep effect.

Maybe have a look at Vult‘s Trummor and Trummor 2?

Can you please elaborate more? Would you like to have one sample for all keys, which automatically pitch bends? Or would you like to record sample for each key?

What I meant was phase shifting - the starting phase determines the click and it can yield great results to phaseshift two percussive sounds against each other.

ah yes phase shifting, i see what you mean.

Just speaking for myself here, but I don’t think there is necessarily a problem with those modules. Especially the PCM Drum modules do what they try to do quite well, as a sample-based solution. Customizability for me is the main thing, and I would like to see a bit more metallic-noise source based solutions. I have to admit though, the metal output of the Hora Hi-Hat module (the Vult version) already meets my needs to quite some extent, but it is nice to have more options.

Another note on the side is that I probably haven’t tried to sufficient extent to get metallic noises out of Trummor 2, which is more or less one of the better examples of the kind of drum modules that I like: Non-sample based, and highly customizable.

In addition to the modules that you’ve already found, there are also the Autodafe RED modules, and AS has some paid drum modules as well. I own the RED modules, but somehow are not able to use them at the moment (I get an error on startup).

Anyway, I was personally just hi-jacking someone else’s comment on the metallic noise kind of things. I really would like to see more of that :slight_smile:

The most ideal and interesting would be a module that could actually generate the sounds of the mellotron, without samples. That would probably be quite a challenge. But otherwise - say a “humana/choir” voice, with a great sample for each key. Of course, if the pitch-shifting could be done flawlessly, then one sample will do, but I doubt that.

Hmmm. My Func 6 module may be able to do all of these, though #2 (if it does it) is not obvious. I’ll write it up if I have some time.

I think I should have added that the idea is to add/subtract multiple input CVs together. I think your Func mostly scales/offsets single inputs, right?

What I am looking for is a way to add/subtract CVs from multiple sequencers (or sequencer rows) ‘on the fly’, to create more complex CV patterns from a few simple ones. Most of what I describe can be achieved by the Mtsch SUM module, which allows one to patch in multiple CVs and then for each toggle whether they should be added/muted/subtracted.

There are two things I would like to see different: The three-way switch is a bit cumbersome. It would be much easier to be able to switch back and forth, which as far as I can tell is not something that can be easily done in VCV Rack. Therefore, another option would be to instead have a two-way switch, and a separate mute button to disable the signal.

The second thing would just be nice to have, which is that unused inputs default to a value that can be set with a knob. This way, in addition to adding together the CVs from inputs, you could also transpose the resulting patterns by a certain voltage, for example to do octave switches.

None of this is impossible to do with existing modules, but it just requires patching various things together, while I would like to have a more elegant solution in one module, since I use it so often (to be clear, I have nothing against patching; in fact, it has become an addiction). Again, if no one else does it, I might just make one myself, because it is probably relatively easy to do, compared to something like creating a filter. :smiley: I just know next to nothing about DSP, but I have plenty of experience with C++ to be able to make something.

it sounds like what you’re looking for is audible instruments quad vc-polarizer, or southpole bandana (the same thing in small) with some additional switches. So a bandana with Fundamental Mutes might be the solution…

ah… didn’t read your first post… to switch between positive and nrgative instantly would require something else…

Hadn’t thought of that one yet. Comes close, but indeed lacks the ability to switch ‘on the fly’. The whole reason I am talking about this is that I am shameless trying to copy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6hJa2lRRgM&t=325s

And thanks for thinking along though. As I said, there are solutions that work to some extent. One of them involves Southpole’s Abr bus. One could talk a CV signal, plugin it into Fundamental mutes, then patch it into an inverter, and then patch the original signal in the A input of Abr, and the inverted in the B input of Abr. Then switching between them is just flicking the A/B switch, and the mute would disable them altogether.

It just becomes very crowded with modules if you do any of this, as well as difficult to keep track of what actually feeds into what.

it might be nice to just fade in the second sequencer with a bandana for more flexibility though… and since its’ got bipolar VCAs you could apply the switches to the control inputs there, or even control everything with midi (including sequencers up to 8 steps with ML sequential switch connected to some midi CCs)

Gack. Yeah, I wrote that before I had coffee.

1 Like

+1 for this type of obsession.

Well, Mike just went ahead and made the adder module that I was hoping to have one day. I am really happy with it, because it makes so many things much easier for me, and reduces the amount of modules I need to do it. Here’s a first video of me demoing it:

The melodies come from three short CV voltage sequences that I then played around with using the SeVeN module. I’ll try to make a proper patch one of these days and publish it on my music thread.

Sorry for the clicks and pops. I recorded this on a crap computer.

I think we need a wait a bit more for it to hit the plugin manager; I built the one I used in the video from source.

EDIT: Oh, and I guess I should add that the module is called SeVeN; The three green modules are three copies of SeVeN.

2 Likes

Very cool Wouter! Looking forward to try this…

1 Like

Thanks! Please note that, as I realised only later, the use of the Befaco atenuverters was completely unnecessary. I could just as easily have scaled down the CV inputs with SeVeN.

1 Like

SeVeN was released in newest build!

I’m now working on drums module, though it will take me awhile. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Definitely a Basimilus Iteritas Alter clone would be awesome. The structure is described in the manual, but as it says it’s parameterized, I don’t know how one would find the parameters range/scaling…

1 Like