looking for a quantizer that can get it's scale from a sequencer

What I want to do is put (for example) an f-major chord followed by a g-major chord from a sequencer into a quantizer such that the quantizer will quantize to an f-major chord, and then to g-major. In other words, I want a quantizer that I can set to a scale directly via polyphonic CV and Gate.

ML Quantum almost does it. I can TOGGLE f-major into it, then I can toggle g-major into it, but now have the notes of F and G chords. Then when it loops around I can toggle the F notes out, leaving only G, etc…

I’m sure there’s a quantizer that does just what I want, but I could use a pointer.

1 Like

Never used it, but Noobhour Customscaler might be a candidate. Says it can be modified by a sequencer.

1 Like

You can set ML Quantum to poly gate mode in the right click menu, then the notes are only active as long as the gates of the input notes are high.

Bruce, please look at this video especially when I showed CHD-X - new quantizer that can quantize to Impromptu Chord-Key. And you can sequence this chord module even without using 8face but by internal mechanism based on C3-C5 range of CV. https://youtu.be/9znWSs6U0wE Don’t sure this is exactly what you need (I’m still thinking you want to use SEQ++ for doing that) but who knows, just my 2c. You can record chords into Chords-KEY module and then connect SEQ++ to it for controlling chord progression.

1 Like

not sure why you would want to do it that way…

i would simply set the quantizer to include all notes that may occur (the complete scale, or all twelve notes if you’re modulating), and then set the sequencer to hit the notes you want for each chord.

or program the chords you want into re-win’s scenes and switch between scenes with a sequencer or something like that. (just know that re-win’s steps are 10v divided by 16, so 0.625v.)

1 Like

Well, it’s super easy to enter pitches and timing in Seq++ (or any timeline sequencer), so when it comes to specifying pitches and some timing I’d like to use it. And I already know how to use it really well - no learning curve! If I set it up that way I can get all the harmony and scene changes entered simply on one timeline, then could use more algorithmic things to pick notes from the harmony and subdivide the timing that’s entered in the seq. But, as you say, there are a lot of other ways to do similar things.

Bruce, the latest build of Chord-KEY supports Portable sequencer mechanism. Just tested it - input some chord into your SEQ++, then select it, press CTRL+C and right click on CHORD-KEY - past sequence as CHORD - works like a charm. I’m still understanding that you still want to run your chords from SEQ++ but it seems also a pretty handy way to make quantization to chords.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s pretty cool!

You can set ML Quantum to poly gate mode in the right click menu, then the notes are only active as long as the gates of the input notes are high.

is this not the solution?

I think so. Will try it!