looking for a "moog one Wave Angle" like oscillator

maybe I don’t understand it at all, but why is the Blamsoft XFX wave not possible? I just set the position modulation knob to 50% and use an triangle lfo with 0 to 10V to modulate it. this makes smooth transitions from sine to saw, via triangle, using the frozenwasteland bpm lfo you can even sync the transitions.

2 Likes

I just wanted to show that atleast one commercial synth uses that kind of OSCillator. I don’t know how to make it in VCVRack.

2 Likes

I made a Strip patch for the Blamsoft XFX wave that shows the wave change from saw to triangle to ramp and back (almost perfect :wink: )

Strip_saw_triangle_ramp_XFX_01.vcvss (5.3 KB)

just connect the bpm-lfo input to a clock and the xfx audio out and listen, a slower clock (/LFO) is maybe better to see modulation

3 Likes

Was going to point out the same…

2 Likes

@flyingLow just for some fun, I made a patch where I put your FN-3 and my XFX solution both side by side, and to show how it could be used I seqeuenced both with ADDR-Seq.

imho the results are comparable, although the XFX doesn’t alias as much :wink:

fn-3-and-XFX-saw-tri-ramp-audio.vcv (15.6 KB)

2 Likes

Very nice. I think your solution is the ideal one for this issue, but I also like how the fn-3 sounds. I never worked with triggering function gens at audio rate before. So, I think I will play around with that idea with the other f.g. Rampage must be fun…

1 Like

I think Vult Bleak can PWM a triangle wave. I cant check now though, so I might be wrong.

1 Like

Sorry. I see @dag2099 already mentioned this.

2 Likes

I made it, man. using your solution I can do exactly what I would.

Saw wave → FN-3 → PWM moving = I can change tri Simmetry as I wish.

There’s only one problem yet: the rectification maden by the FN-3 to the incoming saw, create an unwanted background noise, adding some frequency in the wave point where this one has been rettified.

I have to eliminate this noise because it makes completely useless the tri wave and disturbs the other symmetries as well. I can’t do it using a filter because it’s static and it would filter the other Simmetry too.

Do you think there could be a way?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that if you try to make your own VCO, you are doomed to bad artifacts. At the very least a lot of aliasing. Look at the plot of FN-3 below - as expected it’s not super clean.

Why not try one of the VCOs that already morphs between triangle and saw? There were a lot mentioned above. Those should give you a clean sound.

2 Likes

I agree with @Squinky . A more traditional approach to this would probably be: Triangle wave to Comparator to Slew. And modulate the Comparator threshold. But you would end up with some nasty artifacts.

I would use @rsmus7’s solution with XFX Wave. As @Squinky says the fn-3 will never be super clean.

1 Like

Audible Instruments Tidal Modulator 1 and 2 also blend from saw to triangle to ramp and have an audio rate mode.

edit: It seems even XFX Wave can’t do this, it can do a lot more other things though, but also requires more CPU.

So this would be the best choice I think:

4 Likes

in the ended I decided to use this vco to solve my prob. in this way i lost 2 nice function that were included in my okd VCV VCO:

• selector for analog or digitar whave shape
  • selector for soft or hard sync

is there a way to “post-produce” theese things using tidal 2?

I’m not sure since I never tried this and there are apparently different kinds of soft sync, but maybe it’s possible to recreate a soft sync effect with a window comparator that only lets a sync signal through if both oscillators are close to a zero-crossing.

As for the waveshape you can modify it with Tidals “SHAPE” knob, you will probably not get the exact same waveshape but it’s nice to color the sound to taste and much more versatile. For more analog-feeling you could also send it through some distortion or tape saturation.

1 Like

Now that module is nice and clean. Maybe one of the reasons it is still so popular.

1 Like

32bit float version of the “Moog One” wavetable - 2048 points * 128 waves

Python script and wavetable can be found here:

2 Likes

If you move that up to a higher frequency, doesn’t it alias a lot? I don’t think the Moog does.

1 Like

There was an error in the previous python script, I changed the picture.

I’m no expert, but I can’t see or hear any aliasing.

1 Like

no, you are right, that’s looks pretty good. When I use wvco with the built-in sawtooth I got some wonky aliasing. This is with the funamental at 1724 hz.

1 Like