LabSeven VCO-3340 available now! (v 1.1.6.1!)

The first LabSeven module, representing the VCO of a well-known 80s synthesizer (with a few extensions), is now available via the plugin manager. It comes with the standard blue and a classic gray skin. Enjoy!

P.S.: If you like it and want me to keep on creating VCV Rack modules (apart from completing the 3340 series I already have plans for some unusual but I think very useful stuff), please consider a donation. Any amount is welcome :slight_smile:

Info: http://labseven.prospectum.com/

17 Likes

I may be showing terrible ignorance here, but Iā€™m dying to know where the ā€œ3340ā€ comes from.

It is a tribute to a VCO chip widely used in hardware synths :slight_smile:

I remember now.
Anyway, lovely oscillator. Iā€™ve been playing with it all evening, looking for the perfect filter to pair it with.

Lindenberg Laika is always my first choice.

is it the VCO-101 or is another one?

Nice!

A filter that goes very well this VCO is based on the IR3109 which I think uses LM13700s. That would be another module needed in order to complete the 3340 series.

I decided to better not call it VCO-101 any more for obvious reasons. But yes, thatā€™s the one!

2 Likes

It sounds like a gnarly beast if you pair it with Lindenbergā€™s Valerie filter (basically the Korg 35 filter made into a module)

Iā€™ve been having a blast while playing with this for the last few hours. Using the noise as a modulator to the pitch generates some really cool and unpredictable glitchy sounds.

This is certainly the truth. In fact, anyone not familiar with the Lindenberg modules is doing themselves a disservice. Exceptā€¦Westcoast often causes me trouble. I like the sound it makes but it often causes VCV to cut out itā€™s sound entirely until I reload. This makes it an unacceptable risk during streams so I donā€™t use it. Also, they look cool.

Just used the VCO-3340 for the first time in the studio, listening with (relatively) big Adam speakers. The ā€˜classicā€™ sound is definitely there but, using the modulation and RANGE/SEL inputs, it does not take long until you end up with some really f***** up s*** :wink:

Pro tip: Use the VCO-3340 at sample rates of 96kHz or higher in order to release its full potential (modulation frequency range etc.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just fixed a minor bug. Update with bug fix + tidier code + minor performance improvements coming soon!

2 Likes

Possible silly question - how do i access the grey skin?

EDIT - answered by own question. Obviously havenā€™t felt the need to be in users/xx/rack/plugins for a whileā€¦
Simply copy the LabSeven_3340_VCO.svg from the LabSeven_3340_Classic_Skins folder to the res folder above.

Version 0.6.2, correcting a small tuning error, is on github.

Hi! Any chance for a 1.0 version? thanks

Iā€™m not 100% sure but the vco in Valley Interzone looks fairly similar to vco-3340.

1 Like

even better

2 Likes

Hi! I am very busy at the moment - Iā€™ll port VCO3340 as soon as I have time.

9 Likes