Knobs jump in VCV 1.0 (resolved in Rack 1.1.4)

Unfortunately, Andrew Belt cannot reproduce the problem which leaves those of us suffering with it tripping all over our knobs.

By any chance do any of you who have also reported the issue use a Logitech mouse? Are all reporters on Windows 10?

Turning off “Lock cursor while dragging” in VCV Rack fixed the issue for me. I am on Windows 10 and am using a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse.

I don’t think that is a ideal option. For knobs that are near the edge of the screen, your cursor readily runs out of room.

I have this issue too, here with a sharkoon “shark force” mouse on Win10 on my PC and with a Logitech mouse on Win10 on my laptop too.

Ah, that could be. I work on small racks on a laptop so haven’t really had that issue. Can see how it would be a problem though. Hope they can figure out an actual fix for it eventually.

I had the same issue running Rack v1.0 on Windows 7. I reduced the frameRateLimit value in the settings-v1.json file and it solved the problem for me.

I have this problem on my laptop with win 10 as well. Both with touchpad and usb mouse.

I’m not sure if I have detected a pattern, but I feel like the value jumps if I click on a knob and immediately begin dragging. If I click on a knob and hold the mouse stationary for a bit, the value “possibly” does not randomly jump. I’ll have to play with it a while to see if this is really the case.

If so, good, although my wrist will ache from the concentrated effort of holding the mouse stationary over and over with the mouse button depressed.

EDIT: No, this does not seem to be the case. Values still jump randomly. :frowning:

I lowered the frameRateLimit from 70 to 20. Made no difference.

yes that is what i experience as well, if i hover above the rotary knob momentarily before turning i can reduce the jumpy behaviour.

Cosigned.

Win10Home, Logi M570 trackball using Setpoint. "frameRateLimit": 30.0, "frameRateSync": true,

Nope, I have the problem and I’m on my Mac with no Logitech in sight. Only started happening after release 1.x, never before. I suspect probably because one of the updated dependencies.

Same issue here, knobs randomly jump from 0-10 on the first click/hold and I’m getting sick of huge unwanted filter sweeps when performing. It’s ruining my workflow. Windows 10. Logitech Master MX mouse.

Has no one reproduced and solved this yet?

I experience sometimes the same behaviour, not in a particular module

no logitech mouse, but a razor one with high DPI settings.

maybe i can try using it with lower DPI during a few days to see if it happens less or equal

Same, I get the occasional jumping but it’s not always super obvious when it’s happening. Here’s my best attempt at explaining what’s happening:

1. You’re adjusting a knob or a fader
  2. Let’s say the parameter is a knob and it’s currently set to ~7 o’clock
  3. You position your mouse over the parameter - near center, or say top right
  4. You click and drag in an upwards motion to move the parameter
  5. If it doesn’t happen at first, try it a few times in quick succession - operate the mouse a little sloppily (think Keith Richards in the 70’s)

Result: the parameter will sometimes seem to “jump” to catch up with your mouse cursor location. So instead of going smoothly from 7 o’clock and continuing to increase as you drag upwards, the parameter seems to want to jump to the value closest to the mouse x/y coordinates. So if your mouse cursor is near the 1 o’clock position as you begin the click and drag process, sometimes the mouse cursor will jump from 7 o’clock straight to 1 o’clock.

It seems least likely to occur when I position the mouse cursor near the location of the current value and drag up slowly. But if I’m clicking near the top of a knob or fader, that seems to do it.

When this happens with a mixer knob or fader (I use Console 8 in my default template and have had it happen there a few times) it can scare the beejeezus out of you when you’ve got your speakers up loud and suddenly the quiet background part jumps to near full-blast.

And I can reproduce it pretty consistently here if I’m trying. If I’m being careful and deliberate with my mouse movements it may not happen at all, but if I’m being sloppy and quick, I can get it to jump pretty regularly.

In case any of this matters: I’m using an Anker vertical/optical mouse connected via USB to a Windows 10 PC with an AMD graphics card. My guess is there’s something in the code that’s making the knobs want to catch up to the current mouse location.

1 Like

No

If you mean a carefully constructed and reproducable test case, then I think no. It’s pretty random. Happens on my Mac as well. The only thing that’s certain I believe, is that it started only in Rack v1

We were able to find the cause and @Vortico implemented a workaround.

8 Likes

Thanks very much, guys!