KautenjaDSP Development Blog

Hi, yes unfortunately some ports were moved around and changed and some new features (particularly all the port normalling and mixers) will definitely change the sounds depending on how things are patched. In some cases volume levels of modules were altered to fit the standard of 10V peak-to-peak. IMO all these changes are for the better, but have the expense of causing some breaks, for which I do apologize. In your case, you can look in the patch files for the version of the plugin that the patch is expecting and acquire that version from the Github releases, then just ignore the update to the plugin until you want to deal with it.

1 Like

Back to release news! It was recommended to me by @xandra-max to take a single operator from Boss Fight and turn it into its own module to be compatible with many of the other great FM operators in the VCV library, which was a great idea. As such, I present Mini Boss: a (you guessed it) FM operator module inspired by the Yamaha YM2612 with some cool features (basically the same as a single operator on Boss Fight). Notably, there is the new FM input (and depth parameter) that allows multiple Mini Bosses to be patched together into a full blown FM synthesizer with an arbitrary and infinite number of operators and algorithms! You can grab a compiled beta here.

BONUS NEWS: Mini Boss pairs really well with Algomorph by @xandra-max , which is an intelligent routing module for FM synthesis. It’s really sick so definitely check it out if you’re into Boss Fight, or FM synthesis in general.

4 Likes

how do you get sound out of the mini boss? I tried for 30 seconds and I can’t get a sound out of it.

oh, I guess it needs a gate?

@Squinky Yep! Mini Boss is like Kitchen Sink with the ADSR->output switch on by default. I took a lot of inspiration for the panel layout and such from Kitchen Sink btw :slight_smile:

thanks Christian. i will aquire the older version of the modules. can i keep both versions without any issues? thanks for providing me a solution.

Sadly, Rack itself doesn’t have any form of version management beyond pulling the latest version from the library. To switch versions, you’ll have to manually replace the “KautenjaDSP-PotatoChips” folder in the “plugins-v1” folder with the desired version. This can be done as needed without any issues though.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mini Boss is cool!

Did something change with the slider handles? They are visible in the module browser but blend into the background when the modules are instantiated (super echo/adsr, miniboss).

EDIT: I’m using redshift and it lowered the overall contrast too much, they look better without it, especially if they are running, the lights help!

Ah! Yes I should probably change the library view to default to all lights being off to prevent any confusion. I’m glad the slider lights help though; I thought they would be cool to add after playing with a Typhoon module.

July Update

I’ve been unable to keep up with VCV for a while due to school, but have wrapped things up and gotten back in the game. Moving forward, I’ve developed some modules as part of a new plugin focused on fundamentals and inspired by my favorite tools. All the renders below come from Sketch (the SVG tool I use) so the actual modules will look slightly different in VCV. If anyone has suggestions for features, I’d love to hear them!

Nurse Ratchet

Nurse ratchet (inspired by One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest) is a blatant rip-off of the Make Noise 0Ctrl with a new ratcheting feature, control over envelope timings, clock pulse width, V/Oct range and offset, and a few hidden menu items for customizing the envelope shapes (i.e., vactrol emulation, PSG emulation, etc.) and changing the CV behaviors.

NurseRatchet

Quad Operator

Quad operator is my interpretation of the Humble Audio Quad Operator. It’s a 4 operator phase modulation oscillator with continuous algorithm routing.

QuadOperator

Big Squish

Big squish is inspired half by the interface of the WMD Compressor and half by the functionality of the Ableton Live Compressor, i.e., it looks like WMD, but sounds more like Ableton. It’s your basic compressor with a side-chain input and envelope follower output. Something unique I’ve done is put skeuomorphic LED VU meters around the knobs making it very easy to visualize how much the compressor is activating / the levels throughout the gain stages.

BigSquish

Wave Boii

Wave boii is just a stereo sampler. There are plenty of these in the plugin library, but this one addresses a lot of the issues I run into with them. The key features:

• loads WAV, MP3, and FLAC
  • Has drag n’ drop support
  • Threaded file IO to prevent GUI hiccups
  • Arbitrary play back control forwards and backwards through 0
    • band-limiting filter to prevent aliasing
  • efficient “screen” code for visualizing and zooming on waveform
  • gain and pan for stereo controls (visualized on screen)
  • works with samples as short as single cycle waveforms and as long as hour long DJ mixes (will test with 4 hours long podcasts and cap the duration around 4-6 hours)
  • a trigger button (looping mode auto triggers and re-triggers)

I’d like to also add a EOC output, but need to find a clean way to work it into the panel.

WaveBoii

Accumulation Station

Accumulation station is inspired by me needing the ability to solo and mute channels during development. The look is inspired by the Qu-Bit Mixology, but adds a stereo width control that I’m surprised no stereo mixers ever bother with. The width control sets the delay of the secondary channel (according to the pan setting) to a value between 1ms and 40ms to produce the Haas effect and simulate stereo width. It’s really handy for layering synth sounds into a thick fat wall or otherwise placing voices spatially in the mix. I’ve also created a unique visualization for the stereo field that will show both the panning and width around the panning control knob!

AccumulationStation

19 Likes

All look awesome! no feature request from me, just releazed. I think they’re finished (at least in concept :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for showing these designs, they sound very interesting modules, particularly like the idea of the ‘Accumulation Station’ because it does spatial stereo width! Any idea when they maybe ready for the library? No rush, I know.

The Quad Operator also sounds rather interesting as well. Sure they all will be great!

They’re all pretty close to being ready for the library! There are a few small polish things that I need to take care of and probably a round of beta testing to ensure there are no bugs that I missed. Maybe 2-3 months? Here’s a quick demo of Quad Operator, Mini Boss, Accumulation Station, and Big Squish coming together to make a stereo bass sound.

4 Likes

Well, they certainly sound great, like the Accumulation station panning-stereo field width. Would it be possible to see some more of that module on a delay or another fx? Thanks for your time.

Thanks! And sure thing, here is a simple demo of the send function. Starts with a basic acid line (additive pulse wave → 18dB low-pass). I have a voltage source connected to the send input and the cut-off of a filter so that I can turn one knob to sweep both up and down. In the send chain is SuperEcho doing some additional filtering and applying a short 16ms delay with some feedback.

One thing I’m noticing is that I frequently grab BigSquish configured as a limiter to put on Accumulation Station at the end of the chain; I’m thinking I’ll put an optional limiter into it for convenience.

Thank you so much, so where did the ‘Maths’ module come from? It does sound good! To be picky does it handle long delays and reverbs or would that be too much without a limiter in it?

lol it’s just my copy of the idea and panel of Make Noise Maths. Before I bought a hardware Maths I programmed it from the description in the manual to see if I liked Maths or not. But anyway, so long as you mix your levels correctly the sends will work with arbitrary effects and timings. The input signal here is just super hot from the high resonance of the filter (which is a very early prototype).

Don’t release anything that infringes on makenoise copyright. We don’t need that again!

No worries, I had no plans on it. There are plenty of good copies of Maths available in VCV already anyway. I just made this one for fun.

Can you whisper their names to me, I promise not to tell anyone! Honest :japanese_ogre: