John Smith's music thread

Finally got OBS to record for a little bit without glitching. I guess this is where I’ll upload my things.

2 Likes

Smallest patch I could come up with and still have something solid.

1 Like

Nice work, keep going!

1 Like

So Jason from trowaSoft updated his cvOSCcv module to work with resolume just for me. (let me dream) Works like a charm.

2 Likes

We got a really glitched out voicemail at work the other day. I used it to make this song.

2 Likes

I’ve given up on making music. I’m terrible at it. I’ve refined my process for manipulating video effects using VCVRack however. Music here is not me, but all of the effects on the video are modulated with vcvrack. Everything is done live, and I have never heard this set before. I just picked a breakcore set and try to make the video go with the music.

You’re not terrible, keep on clickin’ and something will click and maybe some people will like it but if you’re having fun then who cares?

Thanks for introducing me to resolume, i’ll check it out.

Well, that’s the thing. I have more fun with video. I’d love to come up with a generative patch that I could jam out with and do video at the same time that other people would listen to. I don’t think i’ll get to that point.

Don’t let the talk about generative patches get you down. They’re the easiest thing to do. If you want quick and easy random insanity I always say set up a Quantussy ring. Other than that randomly varying pitch and gates is easy. Hey, try that new module…uh…Circlefade Random. I had a fairly noisy random patch going in five minutes with that.

mmmmm Quantussy?!?!?

You’re going to have to show me that again. I forgot about it. It was you that showed me how, was it?

Yes. Yes it was. I won’t link it for fear of over promoting myself but one of my first Youtube videos was an upload of a stream i did on November 29th 2018. That is very much a Quantussy ring doing it business.

This looks very cool. I’m curious about your process. How does this work? Are Rack and Resolume talking back and forth, or is it just one way? Rack isn’t making noise right, you’re just generating CV?

No, music is not from rack. Rack analyzes the music. So it’s kind of a stack:

1. Play music on Monstercat.com
  2. VCV Rack audio module listens to monstercat music.
  3. Noise gates generate triggers.
  4. triggers generate envelopes and random cv.
  5. cvOSCcv module sends OSC Control messages to Resolume.

OSC is basically like midi. It’s just a control protocol. It gets interpreted based on whatever the receiving end is told to do with it. In this case, it’s controlling various effect parameters like xy position, opacity, playback speed, direction, etc.

Yeah, I got it working in the Resolume demo after a little trial and error - and it does communicate back and forth, so you’ve got full control of Resolume from Rack. This is great!

Unfortunately, Resolume is another €300 I can’t afford. I’ll have to play with OSC in TouchDesigner and see what I can make happen there.

1 Like

new mix. Music is from nsbradio.co.uk. New source material. I think i’m jus tgoing to go with anime from now on. There’s an entire culture centered around AMVs and using anime for source video is basically just acceptable. Since I don’t have the hundreds of dollars it would cost me to license clips intended for vjing, this is what you guys get.

I made a music.

1 Like

Nice little groove :slight_smile: The melody and rythm are really pleasing

New video

New patch I’ve been fiddling with. Got a new job and unfortunately, the laptop they gave me can’t run it. Just a smimple DnB Drum Setup with trumor and a complex chord tool and arpeggiator I’ve made out of a few modules. You’ll absolutely NEED South Pole for the chord/arp patch, or you can wipe the melody section and just use the drumkit and build your own synth. Also, dust and noise on inputs 7 and 8 to simulate an analog recording.

HomeWorkTesting2.vcv (93.5 KB)

New development. They upgraded my laptop, and now I can do video and audio at the same time. Here’s a clip from a live stream I did last night:

It’s not the best of anything, but it is both at the same time. I doubt anyone would come to a show or anything. There’s some audio hitching throughout, but the video reacts to the audio hitching, so it works out.

1 Like