Jamstik studio guitar

This needs a thread of it’s own lol - I’m sure we all have stories …

2 Likes

Haha, that sounds like fun as well! Very interesting! Yeah, there’s not nearly enough time in a day for all the fun projects to make.

I found the studio tuning is annoying but not too bad. Still one of these days I might shell out the thousand dollars to have a proper headstock. I did realize recently that, though it was my instinct to put a guitar strap onto it, this makes it hard to use in my normal computer music desk which has arms on the chair. So I never quite felt comfortable playing it and working on the computer.

But I think it’s meant to be small enough that you can kind of hold it in your lap and bang out some notes. So I took the strap off and I’m testing out that approach.

Yeah, I have the same problem, but I have had that with all of my guitars while sitting at the computer. I never use a strap for this playing and my chair has arms, so it it difficult. I end up with a light bruise on my right thigh where the strap attachment thingy digs into my leg, even though the Studio is relatively light.

I end up sitting on the edge of my chair while playing, which causes several postural pain problems.

I need a chair where the arms fold down or back and out of the way. I wonder if there is such a chair.

My guitar chair, £3 via ebay :slight_smile:

3 Likes

By the way, I am really unable to play my Les Paul while sitting as it weighs about 12 pounds as compared to the Jamstik at about 3 pounds. The Stratocaster is somewhere in between but rests on my thigh much easier. There are a lot of things about the Les Paul that make it really difficult for me to play it while sitting down.

It’d be great to have one where you could just fold the arm back, like the middle armrests on an airplane.

@contemporaryinsanity Haha, that looks great!

Yep, I agree; so I followed your advice and ordered one yesterday. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve got a cheap office chair from Costco that has arms which fold up. Crap chair, but handy for sitting down playing guitar in front of the computer!

1 Like

Since I spend the majority of my waking time sitting at the computer in my studio, I ordered a decent new chair of intermediate price. I should have done this years ago.

Isn’t it always the case. Think nothing of buying a new guitar. But it’s like pulling teeth to convince yourself to get the new chair🙂

3 Likes

Reading this caused me to pull out my TriplePlay Connect again… and honestly, I can’t fault it. Mine lives on an Ibanez RiO.

Full polyphonic v/oct, gate, vel, gate-reset and pw signals from MIDI-CV… use default “hardware synth” patch on the TPc, turn on polyphony, set bends to auto or smooth. Spacing of pickup from string is essential, but they provide a feeler guage-style tool to get that set, and set it as close to bridge as poss.

For Bass s’a different story, as not got a pickup for that - Entrian follower, but pre-amp & moderately compress the bass signal on the way in is a must, along with experimentation with pickup selection / tone control on a per-bass basis. Rickenbacker is fabulous with it on neck pickup. Perfect fast tracking. Cheap Tanglewood bass has to be fettled to work as well - more gain, more compression, bridge pickup.

2 Likes

I totally agree! I love my chair, but having folding arms would be nice. If you like it, do share! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Will do. I ordered from Amazon. It will arrive in a week or so.

I wonder if this is an option for anyone? Behringer are doing a Eurorack audio to CV/MIDI converter. I’m sceptical to be honest, but here’s a short demo:

I received my studio chair with raise-able arms and it is great. Works well for guitar as well as just reaching around the studio while performing or recording.

Here the chair is as captured from the Amazon Prime page. At $140, it is not cheap but I think it will be worth the price since I spend so much time in the studio.

I prefer to use the computer with the arms down so that my right arm is supported level with my mouse.