Is there a V/Oct / Gate controlled quantizer?

Here’s something I’ve not had much luck looking for in my pile of modules. Is there a quantizer which takes the allowed set of notes from a V/Oct + Gate input? I.e. I want to impose the harmony over a chance element via the MIDI controller in real time. Maybe these get repeated over multiple octaves or not depending on how hairy the chord is. (Think ascending D,A,Gb,C,F as something neat you’d probably not want to copy over octaves.) The aim is somewhat different from an arpegiator. The keys struck are used to restrict the “universe of discourse” for arbitrary to-be-quantized V/Oct inputs.

not sure if it does quite what you want, but have you looked at the Probably Note(s)?

I’ve been told the ML quantizer will do this. Please report back if you get something to work! I’ve often thought that my Seq++ module would be great for sequencing scales into a quantizer.

I may be just be an idiot, but after a quick try, I don’t see where to stick a poly V/Oct and Gate to make either of these beasts do the right thing. In my mind’s eye, there are only two things that establish the quantization, a poly V/Oct / Gate pair. Maybe an octave parameter would tell whether to repeat. The essential aspect is that it’s far easier if you’ve spent a life with the piano keyboard to just play the notes you want to restrict to. On VCV, that means your quantize restriction comes from a poly MIDI-CV.

I have no idea what you mean, unfortunately.

Probably Not(e) has a poly CV input and a trigger input which would take the gate. Clearly we are all missing something though

Are you looking for a solution like this ?

The first example (ML quantum) worked. I think when I previously failed, I still had the MIDI input set to QWERTY. :frowning:

Imagine me writing in chalk 100 times: Caowasteland is a dumb goy!

I think the only thing that doesn’t do is handle the inversion played, so some jazzish chords might overlap in unhappy ways, but I’m not sure how much that matters.

So it’s super easy to enter chord sequences in Seq++, by either typing or playing on a midi kbd. Do it!

I haven’t messed around with that one, but I will. Banging on keys is far easier than clicking on the piano roll.

oh, for sure. assuming you don’t want to sequence your harmony changes, but want to play them in real time.

Well that’s one fewer thing I need to hack. Now, all I need is a really nice efficient multi-octave arpegiator that’s more or less encyclopedic as far as patterns, and I’m brainstorming the UI. I’ve poked around the usual suspects, and I’ll avoid commentary for reasons. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The CustomScaler from noobhour gives you up to 5 octaves of quantization of the exact notes you are sending to it via the programming inputs. That will preserve the inversion.

I made a patch that did that about a month ago but the resulting arrangment is only monophic.

edit: it’s this one

Bear in mind that the quantised notes are all sourced from a Quantussy ring. You’d have to swap that out and insert your midi inputs. Don’t ask me how to do that.

Interesting. I got something that’s pretty close, but I will definitely give this a spin. At the moment, I’m trying to come up with a hybrid of the best parts of Hampton’s arpegiator and BOG’s. I’m not sure I’ll ever quite succeed. It’ll probably only go as far as works-for-me stage unless I start thinking much better. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Even designing a nice compact UI that covers all the obvious patterns while remaining clear and not taking a ton of panel space is maybe beyond my meager mind.