Is it best for plugin "brands" to have a single announcement thread?

What topic? This thread?

Yes.

This one: Is it best for plugin "brands" to have a single announcement thread? [edit] Why do you ask?

Okay also presuming you where not in the thread just now… And now? I’ve edited the top post.

When a user clicks on any thread, they are directed to the first unread post in that thread. If a user has not read any posts, they are directed to the first post.

So you didn’t see the top post again?.. If not, It didn’t used to be this way, when the top post was edited it would go to this rather than last unread post. I distinctly remember this on Blamsoft v1 beta’s, these posts were edited from the original post with each beta release.

Also to note when I visited this thread just now I was presented with the top post, even though I have posted in the thread: ‘the post at the top of the page was is latest b10.’

As far as I’m concerned, if you post something on Facebook, you’re screaming it to a void that refuses to show me anything unless I provide a login I will never create.

So far in my thread I’ve been editing the OP with a change log, the OP title with the name of the latest module (so people notice something is new), and in the OP, I added a little " [ Jump to the release post in this thread > ]" link for every module mentioned. Seems to work out OK?

1 Like

Certainly, use Announcements for any announcements you have, as long as it follows Rules for Announcements category, i.e. relevant and professional.

Announcements doesn’t either. Who said you have to update old posts with new info?

I don’t understand why you would need to do this. Just open a new thread, no need to delete anything.

I have no idea where you’re getting the idea that announcement threads have to be long. If you’re a plugin developer, create a new announcement whenever you announce something. If you’re a user, post a comment if you have questions/comments about the announcement. Simple as that, no need to make it more complicated than it is.

Announcements should be like reading a newspaper. Only the top post really matters, everything else is just chatter. For example, VCV Chords released doesn’t have too many comments, but it has 700 views. If you scatter your announcements at post #42 and #112 of an enormous thread, nobody’s going to see it.

4 Likes

So I think the conclusion is that @Vortico sees nothing wrong with making a whole new announcement for new things, whereas before we had an informal agreement to try not to do that.

But I think those of us who have lots of announcements feel the old agreement doesn’t work so well, and that @Vortico is probably correct here.

Is that a fair summary?

2 Likes

Fair enough, lots of people don’t like FB. Anecdotally I would say I reach 20 to 100 times as many people with a FB post, so it would be silly for me not to post there.

There needs to be further discussion on it but for now yes. My concern is that a few years down the line there will be many superfluous topics in announcements that will have to be cleaned up.

There must be a more elegant solution than posting individual topics for each announcement especially if an announcement is for the same plugin pack, but at this time there is no back-end to accommodate announcements in a way that users see everything and is clean / balanced. Iv’e a few ideas regarding this that will probably be discussed in the staff category when Andrew has the time.

1 Like

News articles are never “cleaned up”. You can read NYTimes articles from 1851 here https://spiderbites.nytimes.com/, and not a word has changed since they were published.

Even these get Archived! :slightly_smiling_face:

What do you mean, and how is it relevant to this conversation?

Will people want to visit old threads for a complete history? Even if they do would it not be better to have them organised in the one thread by looking through edits of the top most post. Instead of manually searching that is.

Why not ask devs to maintain a single thread per plugin in Plugins & Modules (if they so wish) AND make fresh Announcements. The thread is then the (dev maintained) archive.

2 Likes

I like that solution Nik :slightly_smiling_face:.

Nope, jumped to first unread reply from Bruce, 11 months later.

The title was edited back to the original title yesterday so this could be because of: after the fact, but if not then something changed to how this used to work.

I think from MindMeld’s point of view a new announcement thread per module / significant piece of news would definitely work best. We tend to release few modules, with a substantial time gap between each because we spend a long time on each one.

When our EqMaster announcement thread was merged with the MixMaster announcement yesterday we ended up having a new announcement 70 replies down on a 3 month old thread about a different module. The old thread was renamed to show it was for EqMaster which meant anyone familiar with and looking for the MixMaster thread title would have a hard time finding it (thread has since been separated again - thanks).

I see announcements like news articles - when you have a piece of news you post it in a new thread. All replies in that thread will be relevant to the announcement topic. If developers want to maintain their own thread in Plugins & Modules (as Nik suggested) I think that’s a good idea too. Having separate threads for each article also helps with keeping things neat and tidy imo - you could have announcements sorted by year for example and archive old announcements. It also makes things easier to find as there is one thread title per announcement and it stops threads becoming extremely long which they would do otherwise over time if there was just one announcement thread per developer.

1 Like