Rackwindows - Update v1.1.2 incl. new modules Console MM, Golem, Monitoring and Rasp

Agreed love your plugins Chris and thank you for allowing them to be provided to us in VCV land.

1 Like

No, thank you for providing the tools in the first place. I’ve taken a lot over the years and it’s good to be able to give back a little. It’s also great fun developing for Rack and digging into your algos. A fantastic learning experience too.

6 Likes

Any idea when these will be in the library? They look pretty interesting.

1 Like

If all goes well, very soon. I’ve submitted them yesterday and they are currenty being reviewed.

5 Likes

@n0jo Will you take pull requests for help on porting other requested Airwindows plugins?

Sure. Here is a list I made to keep track of the requests and provide an overview of what’s going on.

1 Like

Hey guys and gals, in case you missed the headline edit: The plugin just made it into the library. Enjoy!

10 Likes

Wow this is really nice! I haven’t tried many of the airwindows plugins yet, but I really like the Tape emulations. A few questions if I may: Which modules -as of now- are the ones that work correctly in sample rates other than 44.1kHz (I switched my system to 48kHz recently…)? Since they are derived from VSTs, does that mean they introduce a few samples latency or are they running at 1 sample “realtime”?

Thanks n0jo and airwindows, these are awesome. Look great and sound great!

Well, they are all set to scale properly and obviously do as VSTs, but don’t in Rack for a reason yet to be discovered. Unaffected is only Dual BSG. Console, Hombre, Interstage and Tremolo behave somewhat similar across different sample rates, but likely have faulty scaling as well, just less obvious.

Most of the processing is done one sample at a time. I’m still looking for ways to reduce the load though.

2 Likes

good stuff @n0jo looking forward to seeing more airwindows ports. :+1:

Is hombre supposed to be a distortion? I can’t get any distortion out of it.

It’s not a distortion. It’s two delay lines set for pseudo diffusion behavior. https://www.airwindows.com/hombre-vst/

ah, ok. It’s listed in the plugin manager as a distortion. Figured a distortion called Hombre with “texas tone” would sound like ZZTop :wink: it must just be a tagging error. Ah, I see now. It’s a ZZTop delay. cool. The plugin should probably link back to the web site?

i believe there are some more really unique Rackwindows modules in the works and the Airwindows dev Chris is interested in developing for Rack but was having some issues getting the dev enviro setup on osx. i tried to encourage him to sign up here where other devs can help.

yep, that’s true. But as far as setting up a dev env the instructions in the VCV manual will do it most of the time.

btw, here’s a link to my old paper on writing efficient plugins: https://github.com/squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV/blob/master/docs/efficient-plugins.md

An here’s a new repo from last week that’s mostly about aliasing, but also a bit about writing super efficient plugins: GitHub - squinkylabs/Demo: A collection of code and articles of interest to VCV users and developers.

2 Likes

I did a quick review of the code of one of the ported modules and have some notes. Should I post them here or open an issue on GitHub?

That’s a wrong tag, yes.

Links to Chris` plugin descriptions and videos are included in the readme. Do you think the plugin should link directly to a corresponding article on the Airwindows website?

I think a GitHub issue would good. Or should I create a thread here in “Development” for technical feedback and discussion?

1 Like

Hey folks,

Update v1.1.1. is available. Here is what’s changed:

• New module: Holt
  • ResEQ: Fixed parameter scaling and glitches
  • Tape: Improved performance
  • DualBSG: Minimized clicks on parameter changes (monophonic only)
  • Hombre: Removed wrong tag
  • Some modules: Fixed a bug, where the last voltage would be output after disconnection of input
  • All: Revised initialization and reset behaviour

Also, the readme says: “Holt is a resonant lowpass filter focussed on low frequencies. Its algorithm is based on an Excel method for predicting sales figures based on trends. The result is a lowpass filter that’s polite in the highs and increasingly mean towards the low-end. It also allows for seamless morphing between no poles (dry) and 4-poles (24db per octave). An additional output saturation stage helps keeping the possibly massive resonances in check (it can still get nasty though, you have been warned).”

Hope you enjoy!

11 Likes