Implementing DX7 FM algorithms in VCVRack

It’s a Yamaha DX7 Factory Preset: 11 E.PIANO 1

Maybe…just load the bank/preset/sysex in (free plugin) Dexter and check (and write down) all values?

Where to find E Piano1 on Dexed

That’s exactly what I did to get the settings in the selection file I posted.

For those who don’t have a DAW and/or Keyboard. There are several online (realtime) engines on the web. One of them is Dexed…

https://www.webaudiomodules.org/wamsynths/dexed

I am very tempted to buy the new Korg OPSIX-VST… That’s a synth I would have bought, if there was a desktop-version, but now as a VST… hm…

Risking steering off-topic…

I don’t know to much about the Korg OPSIX. But it delivers more then the ‘simple’ 6 operator (just-sine) Phase Modulation (using a set of fixed algorithms) as delivered by the Yamaha DX7.

So…quite a different machine (different set of properties).

This is software…

But…this is hardware…

As with everything: evaluate stuff by all their relevant proporties, then evaluate these properties and sort (prioritize) them by their value. That should lead to your best option(s).

1 Like

Also not in VCV, but may be of interrest:

"MiniDexed is a FM synthesizer closely modeled on the famous DX7 by a well-known Japanese manufacturer running on a bare metal Raspberry Pi (without a Linux kernel or operating system). On Raspberry Pi 2 and larger, it can run 8 tone generators, basically creating an open source equivalent of the TX816/TX802 (8 DX7 instances without the keyboard in one box)."

GitHub - probonopd/MiniDexed: Dexed FM synthesizer similar to 8x DX7 (TX816/TX802) running on a bare metal Raspberry Pi (without a Linux kernel or operating system)

2 Likes

An nice DX7 patch note just popped up on Reddit;

I hope someone will be able to use this in their own DX7 patch in VCV Rack and maybe post it here. I am unable to because of the Unarchiver bug.