Idea for a module: Buffer with automatable playhead

You mean put it into PdArray? That could be pretty cool, too.

The aproach of PdArray with the REC head being controlled by CV is also interesting… so when you drive it with a synced ramp it’s perfectly synced, too. It also records in really bad quality, though.

nah i mean bang out the surge module from the bits we have and see what happens.

Or that, even better :slight_smile:

Oh no!

As I started developing my Tape Recoder module, I played around with direct positioning of the playhead, but I left that idea beside mostly because I would need the CV value as a doube instead of a float to go beyond the limit of about 6 minutes.

This thread here reminds me on all my considerations about implementing a direct positioning of the playhead on an audio buffer and why I came to the conclusion not to control the playhead directly but instead to control the tape speed by CV.

And as I recently made that series of short videos, I found that noodling 'round with the tape speed is much more fun than noodling 'round with the playhead position.

Back to the topic: There are at least 3 VSTs that seem to do the job very well, and such a VST could be integrated by the (not free) VCV Host module.