Idea: a document that relinquishes control of my modules

Indeed, the license is the most likely place to look for what your wishes and intent for your work to be.

1 Like

Valid point, made the change, thanks.

btw, many of these issues are discussed in an article I published before 2.0 came out: Demo/docs/license-issues.md at main · squinkylabs/Demo · GitHub

So just for folks interested in this

There are 4 modules where I’ve had long open PRs to fix this and that (coirt bark, freesurface and stocaudio fix arm builds and tinytricks fixed a crash)

Last week I dropped a note on all of them saying “I’m going to close this pr and assume you are abandoned in a week” and Thomas at tiny tricks (who I worked with before - I added polyphony to the modules when it was introduced) instead gave me write access to the repo and posted on the library page that I can release from the repo too

I’m figuring cschol is on a well deserved vacation since issues in library didn’t get opened this week but stay tuned - we are running a live experiment of “just give a trusted person write access and let rack know” works and how to make it smooth. Will report back oh and if it works I’ll give don write access to baconmusic and see if he can do a point release!

Also if you use random wrangler or the simplex oscillator from tiny tricks, they will soon fix crashing bugs in rack!

5 Likes

Don is standing by, ready to go!

And while we’re on this topic, I am open to a sort of “exchange program” with another active VCV plugin developer: for anyone who is interested in having a backup maintainer, I’ll be yours if you will be mine (for Sapphire). Any takers? Feel free to PM me. We’ll just add each other as collaborators on our respective repos and announce on our VCV submission issue.

Incidentally, I am already a collaborator on the Nonlinear Circuits plugin by Michael Hetrick, as a side effect of helping implement the Sloth modules (Apathy, Inertia, Torpor, and Triple Sloth). @trickyflemming , I am willing to step in as a backup maintainer if you are willing.

4 Likes

Update: @DaveVenom and I have paired up as mutual backup developers for Venom/Sapphire. I posted this notice on my VCV Rack issue.

3 Likes

Does that mean you are both “allowing” each other to take over your brands, post on behalf of the brand, etc? Oh, I see the notice in the github issue. Might want to put the answer into your license file to make everything clear? nice…

I wouldn’t take over the Venom brand in any sense. My vision of my role would be maintenance needed to keep the Venom plugin alive: bug fixes, upgrades for future major versions of Rack, etc. If I want to create something new, even if Dave gets hit by a bus and I take over maintenance of Venom, I would do it under my own brand Sapphire.

I don’t feel any need to lose sleep over what Dave does with Sapphire because I have a sense he is a cool guy. :sunglasses: But Dave, if I’m capable of monitoring Sapphire from the afterlife, and I don’t like what I see, I will come haunt you. You will never be able to eat alphabet soup again. I will telekinetically rearrange the pasta letters to spell incredibly disgusting, unappetizing phrases.

6 Likes

We are on the same page! Just maintenance, bug fix, whatever to keep the existing modules alive as VCV Rack evolves. New modules/features would be under our own brands.

2 Likes

Yup that’s what I did with tiny tricks and mschack too. No new modules under the brand but no more core dumps on save.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I don’t intend to have complete ownership/power over them or anything like that. I was recently emailed a HetrickCV bug report via the Unfiltered Audio form, so I also might open that as a Github issue to see if anyone can look into it.

1 Like

Awesome… I think all you would have to do is post something on the GitHub issue for your VCV Rack plugin.

So I’m signed up as backup for Venom, Nonlinear Circuits, and BaconMusic. I don’t think I should take on any more… I don’t want to be a critical failure point myself!

2 Likes

OK the tiny tricks release worked.

Don I sent you an invite to BaconMusic. I’ll also indicate that you have release rights over on the library issue.

1 Like

Just chiming in to say that this is really a cheering and wholesome solution to the “bus problem.” Well done, all. Community software development at its finest :blue_heart:

6 Likes

Received and accepted. I cloned locally too. Now I’m having fun reading Glissinator source!

1 Like