I need a new Linux machine. Advice/thoughts/suggestions ? [Bought an M1 Mac]

I like my M1 16GB Mini. It is an excellent machine indeed. and the power draw even under load is rather amazing compared to a Ryzen 9 based desktop with a reasonable graphics card. No regrets here.

Oh, and is it (near) silent, very very rarely a tiny bit of fan can be heard at close proximity but I only heard it twice thus far, and that was after pushing the machine for a while, to see how far it would go :wink:

Update: I’m now running a locally built VCV Rack and plugins on a Mac Mini M1. I’m also having a good time learning the Mac way of doing things.

Vast gratitude to Lars Bjerregaard for his patient guidance and encouragement while I decided on the purchase and beyond. Very nice to have someone to call on when in doubt. :slight_smile:

Great thanks also to Patrick Lindenberg for his excellent guide to building VCV Rack on the M1:

Best regards to all,

dp

2 Likes

Makes me happy that you’re enjoying your new machine Dave, that’s what it’s all about. I hope you’ll have many happy musical moments with it for the years to come.

1 Like

It’s probably not too late to make a Time Machine backup, partition the drive, and set up a dual-boot macOS/Linux system.

As much as I’ve been a fan of Macs since 1986 (MacPlus), I now believe that Apple has turned to the Dark Side and has become Evil. I still like my MacBook Pro though.

1 Like

I did get the Linux machine back on its feet and I intend to set it up again for music work. But I’m going to stay on the Mac for my current production work.