I had the most amazing jam last nigh, but this morning, Rack won't open.

Doing nothing is the hardest thing to do! :slight_smile: Thanks Peter

1 Like

Well Robert gave you a new assignment …

Yes I did :slight_smile: Of course I will look into the null issue too (tomorrow) but I hope you can get back to me on the assignment :slight_smile: Or one of the others to explain where my thinking goes wrong.

Sorry, was replying to Peter and missed this - but I did do this already. So with the plugin removed, I do get the error message that it’s missing. In the library tab it shows that it’s available RPJ Visulaizer 2.1.10. If I Update All and do the restart… huh. This time it worked but RPJ is not there. Ah I see. I have to save it like this and then re-insert the new module - duh. Same with a couple of other patches. Works, great stuff! Thx very much!!

2 Likes

Yeah that worked in development of my own modules too when I made an error of a kind. Lucky VCV can be non critically restarted, phew!

EDIT: TAG:

Case 1 …

Screenshot 2023-01-21 23.44.14

Case count: 1

Case URL: I had the most amazing jam last nigh, but this morning, Rack won't open. - #38 by jackokring

How solution?

Ah yes, I forgot to mention you had to save, glad you found out yourself. Good to hear it is working again.

OK, I checked my code and you were closest to the cause of this issue. What has happened? In the old version 2.1.6 (as the log showed us, that was the version of the module used in the saved patch) I had a variable written to the json called activePreset. The type was json_integer, In a later version, I changed this activePreset from integer to string, keeping the name in the json the same (stupid me). So, trying to read a string, where actually an integer is stored causes vcv to crash. Tried this by replacing the string in my autosave/patch.json to a value.

Let this be a warning to others.

1 Like

no, I think I was right. The condition you described happened, that caused the json function to return null. The fix is to check for null.

Yes, you are 100% right. The read is ok, the assigning goes wrong because of the NULL value. Credits to you Bruce :wink:

1 Like

tx!

This is probably an important warning to heed. I say this because I have fallen victim to this issue before in my plugin/module. Anyone who overrides dataFromJson() is vulnerable to this unless they check for null on each data object.

Yeah, Bruce gets credit. I was just the cheerleader :wink:

2 Likes

Here’s your patch recovered without the RPJVisualizer. Now it should load.

DARK-Ambient-recovered.vcv (11.0 KB)

1 Like

Appreciate the gesture but I did get it worked out :wink:

2 Likes

I seem to have a similar situation. I had a really fun session and the next day, it wont open. Same if I open in Ableton. It makes it crash right away. Should I contact support or can I show you my crash log?

Did you use the RPJVisualizer in your patch ? In that case re(moving) the folder (to your desktop) and try again.

No, I don’t use that one…

It’s most likely to be a third party plugin, rather than rack itself. It might be very clear in the crash log what is going on.

Thank you Squniky labs :slight_smile: I ended up deleting everything and re-installing. Works again ok but just super weird.

1 Like

probably a random crash that will come back. but maybe you will get lucky.