How to write a VCO that is super fast and clean

I think most people who care have already seen this, but a while ago I made an entire project for a series of VCOs. These are not in the library, they are just to use as examples.

The readme talks a lot about how to measure aliasing and CPU usage, among other things. The final version (VCO3) Is as fast or faster than any VCO I’ve seen in VCV, and has very low aliasing.

That project I guess “inspired” directly my Organ-3 and Basic VCO modules, and to some extent Kitchen Sink.

Here it is: GitHub - squinkylabs/Demo

6 Likes

It’s impossible to overstate how good this readme is, for Rack development or applied oscillator DSP in general. It’s also incredibly well-structured and clearly written. @Squinky could have a thriving career as a DSP textbook author. (I’m serious–publishers take note!)

1 Like

Haha - thanks so much. I tried to do a good job, but it’s not easy. I appreciate the “plug”, and I hope it brings some more eyeballs to that project. btw, I assume you already know about my (now a bit out of date) document “writing efficient plugins”? I really need to update that one to talk about the VCV simd/vector library, and polyphonic plugins in general.

2 Likes

Yep–that one’s great too! Would love to see an update (though you may reasonably be waiting for the Rack 2.0 release…)

There’s not much rack specific in there, so I’m not very worried about changes. It’s just a question of mustering the energy and not getting distracted by working on new modules.

1 Like