How to send MIDI out from VCV Host using Module 'MIDI Over Audio'

Thanks for the suggestions!

(But please note that it’s Andrew who sets the agenda for Host, not me.)

1 Like

I just like to chime in here, it is indeed a pitty that Host can not send midi back into VCV rack (through another dedicated module for this purpose, or expander on the side).

Cause i bumped into this issue when i wanted to send out midi generated by the player rack extensions in Reason 11 VST plugin, and realized that this was not doable in VCV Rack.

1 Like

I remember Andrew saying that he prioritizes new features for commercial modules on the customer feedback he gets. This means everyone who wants this (MIDI output for VCV Host) should write to contact@vcvrack.com to bump up its priority. I haven’t yet but will do soon.

2 Likes

Yes you are right about that, i will send en email too with an explanation why it is useful.

Cheers.

There’s also an issue tracker for VCV Host

3 Likes

I wrote a small VST and a small module to make a proof-of-concept. And yes, it works! :+1:

3 Likes

I think I’m getting very close to release my new module and the VST. Here’s a first screenshot. The module provides 8 inputs. Each input can carry up to 16 MIDI channels. This makes 128 MIDI channels available for routing inside the Rack.

3 Likes

Is the VST available anywhere? I’d like to test it…

The VSTs (VST2 and VST3) for Windows can be found at Ahornberg-VCV-Modules/res/vst at master · Ahornberg/Ahornberg-VCV-Modules · GitHub

2 Likes

Amazing, seems to work great :+1:

1 Like

Now it’s here!

6 Likes

I don’t know if it’s because I haven’t currently got a github account, but I had to adjust the path to

to access your plugin .dll and .vst3 files

You find it in the plugins folder on your local file system.

I know where the plugin needs to go, I was saying the path you linked to from which to download the dll and vst3 files in your github repository was giving me a 404 error, but I found them by navigating through the github folder structure.

Thanks a lot! I moved the files after posting the link here. I corrected the link above.

2 Likes

Thanks for making this, it will definitely be useful. And the tutorial video is great and super helpful. I am curious though, my system is saying the vsts aren’t 64bit. Is this the case or am I missing something

You need a VST that can host other VSTs like Carla

alternatively you can use the MUX VST

Thanks. I’ll give those a try. I was actually trying it Using the VST host in Voltage Modular running in Host. Should have worked but who knows, one modular environment running in another could make heads explode:)

the VSTs are 64bit and Windows only