How much do you care about the visual design of Rack Modules?

Agreed. My sockets have square inputs, round outputs and also indicate if they’re poly or monophonic:

2 Likes

Yes. Always helps :+1: Thank you

1 Like

yess! I’m also using circle ports for cv, square for gates&triggers, and white/black for inputs/outputs

3 Likes

Very helpful, now i can understand more clearly your modules. Thanks

2 Likes

perhaps helpful, but ugly, lots of complementary color make the modules look like spaghetti
is a really bad pallete

1 Like

if you are referring to The-XOR’s modules, this quote from their manual might help

ugly interface because a) i am not able and b) i am not interested in user interfaces

if you meant my modules then tell me more!

1 Like

I talk about the XOR, and thanks for the manual quote, is nice to know the reason, some users (like me) are not interested to read manual of “ugly interface” module (it make more easy to say ugly to a module who developer don’t give a damn the user interface )

I my opinion your modules are good (talking about how it look) perhaps they are not the best but I not avoid them for ugliness , and this guy is very nice

I must to say, at this time, mostly of the developers has improved his UIs and mostly are ranged between “look ok” to “beautiful”

one of the things that few mention is about how the vcv rack looks and how, the modules that interact with it are seen, the grey background is perfect, but I cant say the same about the cables… by default (if I m not wrong) they are green, yellow , red and blue (except for the yellow , they are complementary) and all of them cross over the modules in all directions, of course we can hide them and change the colors editing the preferences or using an add-on, but could be great have a option to select a a bit more neutral pallete of colors (perhaps have presets of grey, warm, cold, and complementary set of cables)

of course it is is my personal opinion

1 Like

Submarine WM-101 Wire Manager?

2 Likes

Thanks!

The fact that The-XOR doesn’t care about ui could mean they are open to changing their color palette if someone proposes a worked-out alternative to their color coding. I guess it’s hard to have as many distinct but good looking colors as different types of ports they defined in their legend.

About cable colors, try the mentioned module from Submarine!

The problem with a palette for cables is that each module (or at least plugin) has their own color palette and if you want something that goes well with all of them, your only choice is grayscale. I’m not sure if I like that better than the defaults, but I haven’t tried it.

1 Like

It could be interesting if all plugins had a color palette defined and whenever you’d start dragging a cable from a module, its color would match that palette :smiley:

3 Likes

That’s a cool idea! Except once you patch from module A to B, it would match the colors of A and not B. Maybe that would be a desirable feature, though!

1 Like

yes, I m shure the current cable color election was not easy, and as you say only grey wok with all the modules (3 shades of grey plus yellow-orange is my color set ) , I prefer make the change in the configuration file instead of add a pluging only for this purpose

1 Like

nah, the cable would become a gradient between the two different plugin’s picked color! ;p

2 Likes

The only non-default thing I use visually is a slightly darker rack rail.

2 Likes

I don´t think so, because each developer are free to choose his own color pallete according a aesthetically pleasing look.

1 Like

agreed, you are free to choose the color you want, another different thing is if it is a good or bad color combination (or in words that perhaps you can understand better, you are free to put the notes you want in a chord, another thing is if they are harmonic)

1 Like

This is not really a good analogy. Perhaps if Spotify suggested that all songs should be in C, F or G so that they would all sound good together in a playlist?

1 Like

Colors are just an option like the harmony relation between notes in a chord, it´s a matter of taste, another clever option is the use of symbols to identify what that virtual hole is and what kind of signal is correct for walking correctly. A good example using symbols: https://library.vcvrack.com/MrLumps/SEQE My point here is very simple because many modules don’t have any manual, but with a simple ins & outs identification or legend like the XOR modules, just as an example and not as a rule, it would help not just me but a lot of people to understand and learn what modular is and how it works… Sorry about my bad English, is not my first language…

1 Like

it is a opinion

and it is the basic of color theory

you know, if you are a color genius you can do what you want to produce X or Y effect in your audience, for instance Carlos Cruz Diez but due the explanation of the XOR developer who said “i am not interested in user interfaces” I can bet is not a genius,. (…at least not in color)

In my case i´m not really interested in color genius theories if a color X or Y fits in a module or not, or if is ugly or not, i´m totally interest in making sounds and maybe for an audience and for achieve that first have to understand and discover what a module do and how patching correctly, For me VCV Rack is a software to make sounds, not a personal color catalogue and for me making sounds is not an opinion is a fact… Thank you